Help!! Poopy Butt....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashdebash

Reaction score
Hi Friends! I have a two-year old, lion-head rabbit named Buster! He is the most well behaved rabbit. I got him when he was about 6 months old or so. Now being a little over two years old, we are running into a bit of a problem that I have been dealing with for a good amount of time now. Buster is lazy and doesn't move when he poops, he lays in it. With him having a bunch of fur, it then gets stuck in his fur and hardens when I am at work. I spot clean him every night, and groom him as much as I can, but the situation its self is getting worse. I have taken him to a vet and they say that there really is nothing I can do but clean him. Although I hate doing it, there are days it is so bad that I have to rinse his butt in water, which works, but he HATES (understandably). Does anyone have any suggestions that I can try to relieve some of this mess. You can tell he feels so much better after he is cleaned, but he doesn't clean himself. I heard you can use unscented baby wipes? Is this true? I have tried wet paper towels, wash cloths, butt baths, spot cleaning, but I don't want to irritate his skin. Any help is much appreciated!!

Maybe shave his butt? He may end up looking like a tiny lop eared baboon but if he’s got no hair down there, there might be nothing to stick to. If it helps think of it like bikini waxing or manscaping but for rabbits.

I should also point out that I’ve only had a rabbit for 3 weeks and haven’t had any pet since I was sixteen. So, I’m probably not the best person to ask.

I would also say trimming his fur down, he won’t look good but at least easier to clean and not get stuff stuck in the fur and get matted fur.

What kind of droppings get stuck in the fur?

Maybe a diet change will help to not have such a poopy butt and make it cleaner [emoji4]

Myself don’t own long hair bunnies, too lazy taking care of the fur and the extra work keeping it good.

But I have a bunny that have trouble cleaning himself, he’s a bit overweight. But as long his diet it’s correct I don’t have to clean him that often [emoji5]

Hi, I wouldn't recommend shaving his butt hair protects his skin, trimming if really necessary if you can't remove by brushing off but I don't think it is good idea really.
Can you post pictures of his setup, his toilet box and his poopy butt if possible? Solution can be just in making changes to his setup, as I understood that is permanent problem that he's laying in his poop and shaving won't change it.

I have lionhead angora mix and they are extremely fluffy but it is all manageable without bathing. You can use some baby wipes after poos removed or if he has diarrhea but you should be able to remove healthy poos by brushing out. If there are cecals it's more difficult but you should probably change his diet maybe it is too rich and he has an excess of them so just don't eat them all.
Can you describe what food he has daily and how much?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back