Help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSketchyBunnies

Reaction score
With My Rabbits... Where Else Would I Be?!?!
I got my male rabbit Lincoln neutered eight weeks and one day ago. When It hit six weeks after I got him fixed I tried bonding him to my unfixed female Lucina. Eventually he tried to mount her after licking her for quite some time, so I immediately took him away from her and put him in his cage and thought I should wait a couple more weeks just to make sure she won’t get pregnant. Now it is eight weeks and one day since I got him fixed and I started bonding them today. He didn’t mount her but I could tell at some points of the bonding time he almost did. She mounted him to show dominance and at first he started running and she continued trying so I took her away and let them cool down for a few minutes. A little while later she did it again for a hole minute or two and he stayed. My question is, if he mounts her in dominance back she will not get pregnant, Right? (I am going to get her fixed in a few months when my finances are better. :) Sorry this is pretty long... lol!)

Thanks so much! -Kaylor

I wouldn't start the bonding until she is spayed because the spay might change her and all your hard work will be for nothing. It also removes the chance of him impregnating her. When they hump each other do you separate them with a broom, or do you take them back to their cages? They shouldn't be taken back to their cages because they may think they are getting rewarded.

He can't get her pregnant. But I agree that there is no benefit of trying to bond them before her spay (but there is risk of them getting into a fight that will prevent bonding later on). Just wait until after she's healed from her spay.

(on a side note, try to be more specific in your thread titles. "Please help" is too vague. "please help with bonding' would be better.)

I wouldn't start the bonding until she is spayed because the spay might change her and all your hard work will be for nothing. It also removes the chance of him impregnating her. When they hump each other do you separate them with a broom, or do you take them back to their cages? They shouldn't be taken back to their cages because they may think they are getting rewarded.

I had on gloves and picked her off of him. Today I let them cool down for a few minutes, then I put them back into their cages. Is that okay?

I would just separate them with your hand, or a firm piece of cardboard until they calm down, and then continue with the session. You always want to end a session on a happy note.

Latest posts

Back