Help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help please!

Long story short we bought male rabbits from a breeder when they were 9 weeks old in August last year. Fast forward to 17th January 2020 was cleaning them out and found a nest with 3 kits. Shocked! Yes because we had 2 male rabbits! All was okay I separated the male and left female and she did a great job. Babies thrived started eating some veg and pellets etc. Until yesterday when my daughter found one had past away. Then this morning another BUT also another litter have arrived overnight :-/. I think male must have got to her before we realised the problem and had the first litter! So now I’ve got one 5 week old who seems healthy but the others seemed healthy and a new litter of 4 kits in the nest. Is it right to remove the original kit who has survived so far? Or...? I have had rabbits all my life but not this situation.

They had all started to eat pellets and veg over last week so we’ve taken it from mum and is at the moment being looked after in the house. The breeder we got from suggested goats milk too. I will get some thank you for taking time to reply I appreciate it

No problem! Would you mind sending pictures of all of them! I love baby rabbits and seeing adorable pictures really makes my day amazing!

I'm sorry for your loss. They were absolutely adorable!
Also, how far apart do you have the mom and dad? If they are right beside each other in different cages they might mate through the cage bars (it has happened).

Oh they are not close at all! We have a rabbit shed where Mum is and Dad is in a separate hutch now which is in the garden. They used to go out together but not since we discovered the first litter

You should consider getting Mum, Dad, and the kittens(When they are old enough, of course) neutered and spayed to prevent any more litters ASAP.

For some info, check out this link to the House Rabbit Society:
https://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/

I am very aware and if I didn’t think they were both male I would have done so already to prevent this please don’t presume and I did write that they had been separated until I had them done...Dad is booked in and Mum once the litter she had 2 weeks ago are old enough. We haven’t decided what we will do with the babies they will probably go to other homes. Thank you for the tip but this was a totally unexpected as you would know if you had read my post carefully :)

Latest posts

Back