Help please worms???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nirelan81221

Reaction score
HELP!!!! I found this worm and plenty others in my rabbit’s cage 😢 I’m going crazy looking up trying to find what it could possibly be.

Attachments

• 5091BBC7-A8B3-404A-BAB9-F5BC4D6F40B3.png
    5091BBC7-A8B3-404A-BAB9-F5BC4D6F40B3.png
    727.9 KB · Views: 14
Ummm that sort of looks like some sort of maggot? How big is it? Have you checked your bun to see if they have any more of those, especially in genital area and around the bum?
What's their setup like, are they indoors or outside? Do they have a bonded bunny? If so, they would need to be checked as well and taken along to the vet.
Get in contact with a rabbit savvy vet as soon as possible, they would know what to do.

I agree, that looks like a maggot. The most important and urgent thing to do right now is a very thorough check of your rabbit, top to bottom. A wet bum or stuck on wet cecotrope poop, can cause flies to lay eggs on your rabbit, which hatch into maggots. This can cause flystrike to occur, which can be fatal if not caught quickly. If this is happening, this is an immediate emergency and you need to get your rabbit to the vet without delay.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Flystrike
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
If your rabbit is clean and no maggots, wetness, poop, or sores on your rabbit, then the worm isn't a pinworm or tapeworm, which would be the most common intestinal worms in rabbits. So this is most likely coming from the rabbits environment somewhere. I would do a thorough cleaning of your rabbits litter box and environment. The litter box or a hidden spot with pee and poop accidents would be the likely source. Or even household items like the trash can or food left out.

pinworm in rabbits

tapeworm in rabbits

I agree, that looks like a maggot. The most important and urgent thing to do right now is a very thorough check of your rabbit, top to bottom. A wet bum or stuck on wet cecotrope poop, can cause flies to lay eggs on your rabbit, which hatch into maggots. This can cause flystrike to occur, which can be fatal if not caught quickly. If this is happening, this is an immediate emergency and you need to get your rabbit to the vet without delay.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Flystrike
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
If your rabbit is clean and no maggots, wetness, poop, or sores on your rabbit, then the worm isn't a pinworm or tapeworm, which would be the most common intestinal worms in rabbits. So this is most likely coming from the rabbits environment somewhere. I would do a thorough cleaning of your rabbits litter box and environment. The litter box or a hidden spot with pee and poop accidents would be the likely source. Or even household items like the trash can or food left out.

pinworm in rabbits

tapeworm in rabbits
Thank you, we took him to the vet and it was a botfly and as they were getting ready to clean him up and give him antibiotics sadly he passed away😢 I’ve been beyond heartbroken the past two days. My husband called our vet after getting that dreaded phone call yesterday afternoon and set up a private cremation. I will forever miss my Comet boy 💔😢🐰🥺🌈

Attachments

• 5E014886-1146-4C14-B19E-E04031136084.jpeg
    5E014886-1146-4C14-B19E-E04031136084.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 8
I'm so sorry you loss your bunny. I have free range bunnies and from time to time they get a botfly. I put a&d ointment over any scabs or sores to check for worms. If they have a worm it will try to come out for air. When it does I use tweezers to pull it out. As soon as you get the worm out you need to flush the hole with water or a saline solution. The botfly worm releases a poison when it is pulled out that is deadly to your bunny. After flushing the wound I use deluded proxide to clean around the wound with a q-tip and put a+d ointmet over the wound to keep anything from getting in. I've only had one bunny to die from this and it was the one time that I didn't rinse out the wound after removing the the botfly worm. The others all made a full recovery. And my bunny kept licking me as it to say thank you! thank you! I originally googled this procedure.

I'm so sorry you loss your bunny. I have free range bunnies and from time to time they get a botfly. I put a&d ointment over any scabs or sores to check for worms. If they have a worm it will try to come out for air. When it does I use tweezers to pull it out. As soon as you get the worm out you need to flush the hole with water or a saline solution. The botfly worm releases a poison when it is pulled out that is deadly to your bunny. After flushing the wound I use deluded proxide to clean around the wound with a q-tip and put a+d ointmet over the wound to keep anything from getting in. I've only had one bunny to die from this and it was the one time that I didn't rinse out the wound after removing the the botfly worm. The others all made a full recovery. And my bunny kept licking me as it to say thank you! thank you! I originally googled this procedure.

This isn't what happened here. This was a case of flystrike from maggots, not a single botfly larvae. Flystrike is a much more dangerous health condition for rabbits.

Thank you for the kind words. I’ve been beating myself up the past few days I miss him terribly. As I write this I’m tearing up. My husband is a wood worker and makes custom made items so once we get Comet’s ashes back next week he’s going to make me a shadow box in memory of him.

I’m beyond heartbroken and I’m beating myself up over the situation and have the what if’s I’m taking his loss very hard.
Yes it is hard. But I would not have known about fly strike if my niece had not lost her bunnies from it.
It's hard to know everything about bunnies.
I have a notebook with all the info. I have read about bunnies.
I think that you have learned one more thing about bunnies.
Remember your mistakes and successes.
There are many adoptable bunnies out there.
Forgive yourself and save a bunny.

Your bun will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge & will be happy to see you❤️Comet is at peace. You have my deepest sympathy.

Latest posts

Back