Help please!! My bunny has become aggressive overnight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asgardian

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My boy is 9 months old and not neutered. He’s booked in next week.

About 5 days ago, he became aggressive overnight, he would charge at my leg when I’m walking or towards anything that’s moving, even if it’s not invading his personal space. If im walking on the otherside of the room he would still sprint at me! Sometimes it has resulted in a bite drawing blood.
He is also showing this behaviour towards guests. It’s getting so bad that I can barely let him out of the cage because he’s constantly attacking.

After some reading, I’m assuming that he’s just showing aggression due to his hormones and it will be okay after he’s fixed? But I just wanted to know any other opinions.

He was the sweetest boy before this! Would come to me for pets and follow me around the house, no issues.

I would say something either spooked him, or possibly hormones. If it could be something spooked him, like changes in his environment, loud sounds, strong smells, new people or pets, then it could take him some time to get used to the changes. Providing tunnels and hidey boxes can sometimes help give a rabbit a sense of security, and so settle back down. If it's hormones, then yes, neutering will usually help.

Then there is the possibility of it being health related. Sudden changes of behavior can sometimes happen because a rabbit is in pain from a health problem. With this, you would need to have an experienced rabbit vet check him out.

Because it's such a sudden change of behavior, my guess is that it's either something has happened in his environment to spook him, or he got injured or has a health problem. But not to rule out hormones entirely though.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thanks for the insight!

I can’t think of anything in my home that’s changed. I know he’s extremely scared of fireworks, and we have neighbours that light them up illegally randomly, but that didn’t happen the night before his behaviour changed.

I hope he’ll be calmer after the vet’s visit. I’ll ask for a full body check up. When he does let me pat him, there doesn’t seem be any physical signs of pain, he enjoys it. But he only let’s me pat him on the couch lately. If I stand up, he’s back on edge.

Latest posts

Back