Help please large mass from rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoria1357

Reaction score
Hi. I have two 6 month old unneutered male giant continental rabbits. Both were in perfect health until this evening I went to feed them and noticed that one of my rabbits had a large protrusion from what looks like his back passage. It is red and in a long loop and looks almost like intestines. He seems to be in pain as isn’t moving around that much but is eating a little ok. He was 100% fine yesterday so this has literally just occurred. I’m going to get him to the vets as soon as they open tomorrow but I’m so worried. Any advice would be great on what it could be. Thanks

It's a very blurry photo but it could be a rectal prolapse, which they can get if severe constipation or diarrhoea, or just spontaneously. This will need to be seen by a vet urgently. Rectal polyps are also fairly common, and can regress on their own, but it doesn't look quite like that from this picture. If it looks like intestines, it could possibly be a hernia.
If he is still eating and drinking okay, then he should be okay until first thing tomorrow, but I personally would contact and out of hours vet if you are worried he is in pain - even if it is just to get some pain relief until the morning if you struggle to find a good out of hours rabbit vet.

Latest posts

Back