Help please - GI issues, possible infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyann

Have courage and be kind.
Reaction score
My little fluffy angora goes thru a motility slow down twice a year at moulting seasons. This year has been the worst. I took him to our vet at night for an emerg visit. I got the usual g.i. motility drugs for 5 days and the vet thought he had a "snotty"nose too. He has always had a yellow tinged nose. His usual vet has seen him twice a year and never commented on it. He was also given Baytril for 14 days. He has eaten his pellets and veg and treats from day one. But he has slowly gone off hay. Yesterday he ate no hay. I gave him Crit. Care for the first four days but as he is eating pellets I increased those slightly (he gets 3 tbsp/day) Today he refused his morning pellets, he usually goes right to them. MY QUESTION IS: after 7 days should I STOP the Baytril. I believe it is really upsetting his stomach. I don't think he has a respiratory infection as he has never had any symptoms but a stained nose. Thank you for your help❤

My little fluffy angora goes thru a motility slow down twice a year at moulting seasons. This year has been the worst. I took him to our vet at night for an emerg visit. I got the usual g.i. motility drugs for 5 days and the vet thought he had a "snotty"nose too. He has always had a yellow tinged nose. His usual vet has seen him twice a year and never commented on it. He was also given Baytril for 14 days. He has eaten his pellets and veg and treats from day one. But he has slowly gone off hay. Yesterday he ate no hay. I gave him Crit. Care for the first four days but as he is eating pellets I increased those slightly (he gets 3 tbsp/day) Today he refused his morning pellets, he usually goes right to them. MY QUESTION IS: after 7 days should I STOP the Baytril. I believe it is really upsetting his stomach. I don't think he has a respiratory infection as he has never had any symptoms but a stained nose. Thank you for your help❤
Baytril is for his possible sinus infection? Is this bet who wrote the prescription at the same clinic at where you typically go for vet care? I would consider leaving a message for the vet who typically sees your angora rabbit and see what he says. Basically say what you said here.

I am not a big fan of antibiotics or medication unless needed. If your rabbit had an infection the entire series is needed to rid the infection.

I would get a 2nd opinion from your regular vet if possible.

Unfortunately Alfs reg vet is not available. This vet practice is very good and very busy. You tend to get who you get especially if you go after 7pm as an emergency. I agree that there is unlikely to be an infection. No temp, no lung/hard breathing sounds, no sneezing etc. He nibbled a bit at hay this am. I am worried about him so I syringe fed him. The emerg vet told me to give him the full dose of critical care ! but that stops him from eating altogether. Most people don't have access to good rabbit vets, I certainly do but don't always agree with them. His poops are smaller than normal size and moist but coming out at reg intervals. About 350/ day. That's his usual. He is quieter than usual hates being force fed. Thanks for your input.

With your bun already having motility issues from molting, I'm not sure being on baytil is the best thing to be doing at this time, especially with it causing a lack of appetite. It's risking the gut motility issues worsening. If my bun wasn't showing clear signs of having a respiratory infection and actually needing the antibiotic, I would be inclined to stop it at this point, to help get my bun back to eating normally and getting gut motility functioning normally again. Just what I would do.

Thanks, I was thinking the same. With a vet tech background it's really hard to stop giving antibiotics even though I feel that he does not have sniffles.

Latest posts

Back