HELP PLEASE CHEWED CORD IN OUTLET

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas the Bun

Reaction score
Uhhhhhh I left Lucas for literally seconds and she managed to chew half way through my Ipad charger !!
I don’t even care about the charger will she be ok
she is munching on hay and came running when I offered pellets?

Checked her mouth couldn’t see anything & couldn’t get a look at her toungue
Thank You

Last edited:
Not to mention Pet MD is freaking me out with
”possible zink and plastic injestion” and fluid in lungs! 😩
DAF2ECE6-6061-48C6-8695-68630695EF49.jpeg

You should see my chargers throughout the years.

You have nothing to worry about Lucas is fine. Lucas don’t act as if anything happened and acts normal, so everything will be okay.

I’ve only had two cords chewed through with electric in them. One of them my bunny got a shock but that was a clean bite of the cord. Which left my bunny a bit confused, that was all.

My latest charger but it was chewed when it was unplugged. I always unplug cords that can be within a reach for the bunnies. This time my charger was placed up on the windowsill but Embla can easily jump up onto the windowsill. So I need to find a new place to store my charger 😒

So a chewed cord can happen sometimes.
6857D3C8-2AAF-4662-A1CC-76B9C85F89A4.jpeg

Just soldered my laptop power cable. Again. If you don't know how to repair cables, learn it. No point in buying new stuff.
As long as they don't bite through the high voltage cables there's no danger, they don't ingest any of that stuff. My rabbits bite clean through power cords, USB cables are like popcorn at the cinema.

My Fury almost succeeded in killing my twice by removing insulation from power cords.

Anyway, most times it's just "clearing the path". If something like a twig hangs close to the paths they use the cut it, in the wild they prepare escape routes through the underbrush that way.

Last edited:
I lost count of how many chargers Diva chewed, and Floki ate half of my hair tie, when i noticed what he done he had metal part of it in his mouth..still they both are ok 😁

Well. Welcome to the club 🙃
This is my Harley's job and took a fraction of a second, I was unpacking my new lamp and she just did it just like it was offered to her. Was a couple months ago but I had no time to fix it then, only got fixed last week.

IMG_20201026_225702[1].jpg

IMG_20201026_230356[1].jpg

IMG_20201026_231145[1].jpg

IMG_20201026_231738[1].jpg

IMG_20201026_231830[1].jpg

IMG_20201026_232115[1].jpg

^^Thankfully I bought two lamps then so only used one with unchewed cord :)

@zuppa , did that repair work?
Absolutely! But you need to know the rules.
There are two wires and one of them was damaged so firstly you need to fix one which is damaged (could be soldered but in my case it wasn't necessary) and use a proper electrical tape for insulation, then you can fix the outer tube. Here's a video tutorial how to do it properly, but mine will work as well.

I ended up covering my wires with stainless steel braid sleeving. It actually looks kind of steampunk lol.

PXL_20201122_135911309.MP.jpg

Generally you can just snake your cable through the sleeve, but if it has a big plug on the end (like a lamp cord) you may have to remove the plug to get the sleeve on and then reattach it.

Here's an old comment that I posted about how to do it

After lots of research I found a metal braided sleeving product that has worked perfectly. I tested two types of sleeving in advance by inserting a carrot in the sleeves and leaving them in the rabbit cage. The Kevlar sleeving -- used to make bullet proof vests -- did not deter him at all, but the metal braid sleeve worked like a charm.

Here are the details:

Flexo Tinned Copper Braided Sleeving
[...]
price: $1.50-$2.00 per foot, depending upon length

Materials needed: Braided sleeving, electrical tap, snap-on replacement plug
Installation: Cut the plug off the original cord with a scissor. Then cut a piece of sleeving long enough to cover your cord. Slide the cord into the sleeving, being careful not to touch the sharp loose wires at the end of the sleeve. After inserting the cord a few inches it's very easy to pull it through the sleeve by alternately expanding and contracting sections of the sleeve while pulling the end of the cord with your fingertips. When the cord is fully covered, snap on the replacement plug. Then tape the sleeve in place by applying electrical tape tightly to both ends.

If you have to remove the plug to put on the sleeve, you'll need to buy a replacement plug. They're available at your local hardware store and have 2 screws where you can attach the wires from your cord.

Latest posts

Back