help..peapoo stinks!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
ok...something peapoo is doing REALLYstinks! you can smell it all throughout the house! itsmells like a really bad body odor or something.... is thisbecause she's not fixed? if so would getting her fixed help? also wejust switched her from timothy hay to alfalfa hay...think thatsit?ive been cleaning her litter and her cage almosteveydayover the past wknd thinking that that would help, butits not..its not the cage that stinks...its her. its like she's rollingin her poo and stuff or something... could ear mites cause astink that bad? or ear infection or something?

sadly i either have to put peapoo outside or find her a new home:(..imscared that butch ( our 92 lb dog)will break into the cages againthough or just drive her crazy barking at her.. also around 40*F isnttoo cold for her outside is it? exactly how cold is too cold for abunny? and how hot is too hot?... sry ive tried looking this up onhere, but for some reason nothing comes up when i search... if thereare any other posts on this i would like to read them...

thanks everybody!

Sounds like she's getting too much protein fromthe alfalfa which induces her to produce more cecals than she canconsume. Switch back to the timothy hay and it should go back to normal.

Shuu wrote:
Sounds like she's getting too much protein from the alfalfawhich induces her to produce more cecals than she can consume. Switchback to the timothy hay and it should go back to normal.
thanks... i took out all that alfalfa this morning and im goingto get moretimothy hay tomorrow... hopefully that will work!

Have you ever cleaned out Peepoo's scentglands?? If not they can get pretty stinky! I usually clean them once amonth .... If you can flip Peapoo over onto her back and look at hervent area. On either side of her vent you will see pockets. They buildup secretion and other junk and makes a brown/red waxy build-up.

I usually put a few drops of baby oil on a cotton ball and gently swabthe area until all the waxy junk is gone. You will also see somethin inthat pocket that looks like a pimple. Dont try and rub it off! Itssupposed to be there! Totally freaked me out the first I saw it! Youcould imagine my vet's amusement, our first appt. was b/c I thoughtFreddy has dried blood by his vent area .. it was just the red waxybuild-up from his scent glands! :?

Also if Peepoo is feeling territorial she is able to "scent" her poops.It smells god-awful, like rotting garbage. Freddy would do it all thetime before he was neutered and would also just carry this "stink" onhimself.

About the ear mites- my dog usually has them(hey he's a lab, and outside. . it's impossible) and it does make himsmell horrible. If a rabbit had it so u could smell it, it'd bepractically taking over the ear.

It is probably her scent, like mentioned by everyone else.

Kat

FreddysMom wrote:
Have you ever cleaned out Peepoo's scent glands?? If notthey can get pretty stinky! I usually clean them once a month .... Ifyou can flip Peapoo over onto her back and look at her vent area. Oneither side of her vent you will see pockets. They build up secretionand other junk and makes a brown/red waxy build-up.

I usually put a few drops of baby oil on a cotton ball and gently swabthe area until all the waxy junk is gone. You will also see somethin inthat pocket that looks like a pimple. Dont try and rub it off! Itssupposed to be there! Totally freaked me out the first I saw it! Youcould imagine my vet's amusement, our first appt. was b/c I thoughtFreddy has dried blood by his vent area .. it was just the red waxybuild-up from his scent glands! :?

Also if Peepoo is feeling territorial she is able to "scent" her poops.It smells god-awful, like rotting garbage. Freddy would do it all thetime before he was neutered and would also just carry this "stink" onhimself.
i have done that before, but not lately...i didnt even think of that..im going to try that now to..

did it stop after you got freddy neutered? i think we're just going tohave to get her fixed...ive been asking to have this done for awhilenow, but it hasnt happened yet.. got to convince my parentswhy they should pay that much just to get a pet rabbitfixed...huh....they just dont understand...i guess they think of her aslike a goldfish or something with no personality oranything:disgust:.... if she was a dog they would think differently....

Hi,

The odor you're smelling is probably from scent glands that all rabbitshave under the tail. Cecotropes (soft droppings meant to bere-ingested) also have a nasty odor. See if you can figureout...er....what PART of her stinks most.;)It shouldn'timprove with spaying as far as I know--just a bunny thing.

It's not generally advisable to move her at this time of year as shewill not have developed a good winter coat. 40 F isn't fatal if thecoat is well developed (mine are out in -40F), but it's best tomove outside in late spring and allow her to go through summer and falland the accompanying molts. How hot is too hot? Anything in the sun,and keep an eye out on days about 80 F. (water and ice bottles)

Rose

peapoo_bunny wrote:
FreddysMom wrote:
Have youever cleaned out Peepoo's scent glands?? If not they can get prettystinky! I usually clean them once a month .... If you can flip Peapooover onto her back and look at her vent area. On either side of hervent you will see pockets. They build up secretion and other junk andmakes a brown/red waxy build-up.

i have done that before, but not lately...i didnt even think of that..im going to try that now to..

did it stop after you got freddy neutered? i think we're just going tohave to get her fixed...ive been asking to have this done for awhilenow, but it hasnt happened yet.. got to convince my parentswhy they should pay that much just to get a pet rabbitfixed...huh....they just dont understand...i guess they think of her aslike a goldfish or something with no personality oranything:disgust:.... if she was a dog they would think differently....
Yes, his stink has since dissapeared since being neutered (and thespraying thank goodness!) I think he was trying to be macho andcarrying around his "musk" smell. Now that he's neutered his sexualinterest is nil to none and doesn't display any macho behaviors orstinks anymore.

Regardless of stink or not, Peepoo's gotta go in for the vet visit soonto schedule a spay. So it may help. I also agree with Rose, try to seeif shes producing excess cecotropes or just not eating them. And thenwhen you make an appt. with your vet you can discuss a diet change(which would basically just include a switch from alfalfa to timothypellets and hay)

i cleaned peapoo all over and she smells alittle better...my room smells AWEFUL!!! ive tried air fresheners andstuff........what do you use to get the smell out? i will definatelynot switch her hay again...back to timothy hay we go.. plus i dontthink she likes the alfalfa..she doesnt eat as much of it asshe ate the timothy..maybe that was part of the problem....shes onlybeen on it for 3 days and there has been a dramatic change

as for the ear mite thing...ive read in a lot of books and websitesthat if you rub vegetable oil on their ears it kills the mites becausethey wont be able to breathe... have you ever heard this? she is goingto the vet sometime to get fixed (hopefully..moms consideringit:yes:..pray she says yes!)and get her checkup and stuff , but untilthen the poor thing has to go outside...i know she'll prob. be ok outthere but i feel really guilty about putting her out:(....although sheprob. will come in at night if shes allowedbecause its toquiet inmy roomw/o her... anything i need to knowabout keeping her outside while im gone during the day ( and maybenight) ?

thanks guys! i dont know what i'd do w/o ya'lls help sometimes!

I'm betting it's the alfalfa. All thatprotein makes extra cecals which she may not eat. They stinkto high heaven! Keep cleaning her cage every day- I doanyway. Wipe the floor and the litterboxes down with vinegar-it dissolves a lot of gunk and gets rid of bunny smell.

Check her rear to make sure she's not getting cecals stuck to her fur.

Unspayed females don't usually smell thatbad. Are you positive that this is a female? Bucksusually have the strong scent.

about taking her in at night, if she's going tobe an outside rabbit, she needs to stay outside all the time. the temp.changes she will go through can put her into shock and can kill her.why does she have to be outside? try not to use air freshners aroundher, they're really sensitive to that sort of thing. i use scentedcandles if i want to make my room smell better, but my boys don'treally make it smell bad, as long as i keep up with their litterboxes.did you know that your dog barking constantly could scare her to death?putting her outside isn't the answer, if you didn't have dogs, it wouldbe a different story.. you're just going to make her life shorter.

yeah i know the dogscan scare herliterally to death... but my dad is making me put her outside...he wentand bought stuff and made a really nice ( or i think it is...i didntreally look yet..its freezing outside..in the 30's anddropping)cage to try to bribe me....heknows imreally upset about this.. i think she deservesbetter.unfortunately tonight's probably her last one insideuntil she's fixed( or if she is fixed...hopefully so)....:bigtears:iwill only be able to see her outside and probably only be able to spenda lot of time with her on the wknds because i get home after darkeveryday..if that starts happening i think i might try to find her anew home if i cant do better than that...i feel so bad about it! if itwas up to me she would be inside no matter what, but sadly i have nosay in it.

oh but the airfreshener...it wasnt the room she was actually in withher cage and all..surprisingly it was the room next to it that stunkreally bad and had to have air freshener..also had to wash all herblankets and stuff again after i had just washed them...but i think sheis definately a she...she hasnt had any alfalfa since yesterday sohopefully that will help..i havent checked yet to see how bad shestinks now...

oh also..what about coyotes,bobcats, snakes, bears, racoons and possoms we have here? the come right up to our house sometimes

I think the temperature changes will cause herto molt, but I don't recall hearing anything about shock.Maybe if its too drastic, but bringing her in before the temperaturereally dips shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The wildlife around the house is more of aconcern, they mayscare her to death or actually break into her cage, but if you canbring her in at night, and that can help protect her. And thehutch really has to be secure and close to the house, hopefully in ahigh traffic area. Visit with her a lot when she first goesout there, so maybe do it on the weekend?

And like Lissa said, I've never known a female bunny to smell bad, itmust have been related to a health or diet issue. (Could thesmell have been coming from something else?)

Just make sure she stays dry and out of drafts. If she has a'hidey box' with a lot of straw, she'll probably be fine with the coldtemps. Small bunnies like dwarves can't hold body heat, butshe looks big enough to handle it with no problem. You maywant to feedher someblack oil sunflower seeds whichwill help her keep warm.

SAS

SAS wrote:
Ithink the temperature changes will cause her to molt, but I don'trecall hearing anything about shock. Maybe if its toodrastic, but bringing her in before the temperature really dipsshouldn't be too much of a problem.

The wildlife around the house is more of aconcern, they mayscare her to death or actually break into her cage, but if you canbring her in at night, and that can help protect her. And thehutch really has to be secure and close to the house, hopefully in ahigh traffic area. Visit with her a lot when she first goesout there, so maybe do it on the weekend?

And like Lissa said, I've never known a female bunny to smell bad, itmust have been related to a health or diet issue. (Could thesmell have been coming from something else?)

Just make sure she stays dry and out of drafts. If she has a'hidey box' with a lot of straw, she'll probably be fine with the coldtemps. Small bunnies like dwarves can't hold body heat, butshe looks big enough to handle it with no problem. You maywant to feedher someblack oil sunflower seeds whichwill help her keep warm.

SAS
the temp. change probably wouldnt be that drastic, but nowparents say she cant come in at night... she is 3lbs...so shewill definately have a "hidey box"...moms making me put her out firstthing in the morning.....i think the smell is from the hay... ive hadher since october and shes never stunk that bad until the hay change,but im using timothy again now... i am really concerned about the wildanimals though...i think im going to put her cage beside max's bedsince they are really close now and i trust max...plus he keeps thebarking dog, butch, away from her usually..he guards her from the otherdogs, always making sure that he is between the bunny and butch ormookie...he also chases hawks when shes out... i think she will be finewith him out there..hopefully... plus if i put her cage somewhere nearhis she will be right against the front of the house... i have to getreally good locks on in the morning though because butch can probablyunlatch the ones on there right now if he gets a chance...dont want arepeat of the last time he got the cages opened!:shock:

the smell is definately coming from her pee in the litterbox...and i changed it yesterday....fixing to change it again now....but since she is used to her litter box, im guessing i shouldput it outside with her tomorrow...it wouldn't take up a lotof room... should i put it out there with her?

I think I heard somewhere that a little vanilla in the water might reduce waste odors...

plus it repels flies which would protect against fly strike - but thatwouldn't be too big of a concern unless she were outside...

By all means, put her litterbox in thehutch. If you keep her litter habits up, you'll have a betterchance of convincing your parents to let her back in thehouse. Not to mention, it's familiar to her and it could makeher feel more comfortable in the strange surroundings.

What are you using for litter? Some control odor better thanothers. I really like wood pellet litter- it absorbs well andI usually can't smell any urine. And that's with four rabbitsin a small bedroom.

Could you save up money to get her spayed? Of go halfsieswith your parents? You could also call local shelters andrescue organizations. Some of them have spay/neuter programsthat will reduce the price for you.

I saw this product at PetSmart. I have neverused it and am not sure if it works or how well. It was about $12 foran 8oz bottle.

Marshall's Small Animal Bi-Odor

Bi-Odor's unique blend of natural ingredients works from the insideout to eliminate your small pet's body and waste odors. Simply mix thesuggested amount into your pet's drinking water daily, and you shouldbegin to notice a reduction in odors in about one week. Continuous usewill provide the most noticeable results. This formula is all-naturaland safe for all types of small animals.

~JimD

I used to use Bi-Odor.

A bottle lasts for quite a while and it seemed to work, but I stoppedusing it because the smell wasn't bad eough to warrant the extraexpense. And my buns liked the taste.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that!

Latest posts

Back