Help on a rabbit diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapellecakes

Reaction score
I'm new so I'm sorry if this is weird, I'm also very nervous to post this! I'm just looking for advice on my rabbits diet, just to know if there's more I can do to help him! Before now I'd been looking to my parents to help me get his things so I was limited, but since I finally can provide for myself and him, I want to know if his diet is well balanced, if I should do more, or less, or what other veggies to include, maybe if I should change brands of food?

Before I get too deep into this I have some extra info, my rabbit, Stein, was dropped on my by a younger sibling not too long ago, because of this I don't know his breed and can only guess based on what I've been told I believe he's either a rex or a mini rex.

Stein gets mostly timothy hay, as well as Science Selective adult rabbit food (about a half cup a day). I've just recently started introducing more greens into his diet as to not overwhelm him, but for now he mostly gets a mix of cucumber, bok choy, lettuce, bell peppers, and basil, daily, along with fruits (mostly strawberries, apples, and cherry tomatoes) twice a week. I throw ocassional treats like Brussel sprouts, and small amounts of carrot (he gets about half of a baby carrot every once in a while.) He gets one oxbrow joint supplement daily.

He mostly has free range of the house (don't know if that is important!) and always has access to water. Is there anything I'm missing, should I add any other foods or supplements, maybe take anything away?

Hopefully I didn't mess this up, thank you for reading and taking time outta your day!

I had a quick read and your rabbit's diet looks good to me.
I do wonder why you're giving him joint supplement? Is he older or of a bigger breed?

It sounds like a very good and varied diet, unless he has or is at risk for a joint problem the supplement probably isn't necessary, although I can't imagine it being a risk to him. Nicely done balanced diet, Although I might steer a little clear of brussel sprouts, they are a bit of a challenge for some rabbits' guts.

Depending on his size, age, breed, activity, and whether or not he is overweight, a 1/2 cup a day might be what to examine next if you have dietary concerns. I also feed a 1/2 cup per rabbit per day with my two approximately 7 lbs rabbits who are quite active. Pellet amount might be something to pay attention to if you add more greens to his diet, although time will tell.

The important thing with a rabbit diet is to slowly introduce new foods and to always have fresh hay available. Which seems to be what you’re doingThe more dense leafy greens like brussel sprouts or bok choy I would do more sparingly and opt for easier greens, like maybe parsley!

I would maybe lessen the fruit intake as well.

Do you know your rabbit's current weight?

As you add more variety of greens to his diet (slowly), then the quantity of pellets can be reduced. Once a rabbit is on a daily diet that includes 2+ cups of greens, then an average size rabbit (5-7 lbs) typically does fine on 1/4 cup of pellets daily. That's speaking generally. Body condition will help determine the correct amount.

The types of greens are also something to consider. Some, like basil, are perfectly fine to offer daily. Others are best offered only occasionally. You can check a list here.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
Fruits (along with baby carrot) are considered treats only and are not necessary. However, if you like to offer them, it is actually better to offer a small amount each day rather than a larger amount twice per week. Fruits have sugar, so that is the concern. A sudden influx of sugar in the gut can upset the bacterial balance which will cause gut issues (GI stasis). Offering about 1-2 T of fruit (or the equivalent of 1 apple slice OR 1" slice of banana OR 1 strawberry) is the most a rabbit should get on a single day. That is much safer than offering half a banana all at one time -- even if it is given just once per week. It's that sudden change in the gut that is problematic which is why it is safer to offer a small amount daily than a bunch on occasion.

I wanna give a huge apology for not replying, health issues prevented me from getting back on, but thank you a million to everyone! I'll be introducing more leafy greens slowly, and putting a little less fruit! I appreciate it!!

Latest posts

Back