Help!!! Not eating!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulubooboo

Reaction score
My bun isn't wanting to eat!!! I can't tell if it's GI stasis, or if it's her teeth. She was acting a little odd last night, but ate her pellets, and this morning when I went to give her breakfast, she didn't come to get it. She's moving, and she has eaten a small slice of banana, a few pieces of cilantro, and a bite or two of carrot. I tried to look at her teeth, but she won't let me. She's laying down, unlike when our other bunny had GI stasis, and, like I said before, moving. I don't know what's wrong with her!

I will usually try 3 doses of infant gas drops(simethicone) an hour apart in case it's a minor upset stomach due to gas pain. Usually this will help and they will start feeling better and eating again(unless there is something else causing the reluctance to eat). But if they don't feel better after this, and it's been more than 12 hours since they last ate and acted normally, or if they have a bloated stomach or distended belly, or if there is watery or pudding like diarrhea(the fecal poop, not mushy cecotropes), then I will get them to the vet immediately, as it usually means there is something else going on causing the lack of appetite and pain/discomfort.

Gas drops dosing info:
https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

In such a situation you can give simethicone drops (ca. 10-20mg 2-3x per day, depending on size) to help prevent any gas buildup.
Keep her active, make her hop now and then, exercie helps to keep things going. You can also give a gentle tummy massage (some of my rabbits do not allow me to touch them there, I put rock them on my knee, facing me.) You'll see if the rabbit feels positive about.
You also can offer them their favorit foods that aren't all sugar and fat, I always have a stock of dried butterbur, stingy nettles, ash- , willow- and apple leafs for that (and as treats). What is ok to give too are safe greens like narrowleaf plantain, apple leafs, brambles, rose leaves (or other rosoidea plants) - those can be even found in winter.

An upset stomach isn't that uncommon, it doesn't always result in a GI stasis - but waiting and seeing how it turns out, or waiting to see a vet (I'm off to the vet ASAP anyway, but that doesn't work on weekends) is giving away the opportunity to do something when it is most effective - as early as possible. You know, it needs to quite uncomfortable already until we can notice anything wrong, rabbits are great in hiding pain.

If a rabbit stops eating and gets lethargic I also keep them warm.

Is your rabbit in shedding right now, losing more hair than normal?

Attachments

• Schwarze krank2.JPG
    Schwarze krank2.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
In such a situation you can give simethicone drops (ca. 10-20mg 2-3x per day, depending on size) to help prevent any gas buildup.
Keep her active, make her hop now and then, exercie helps to keep things going. You can also give a gentle tummy massage (some of my rabbits do not allow me to touch them there, I put rock them on my knee, facing me.) You'll see if the rabbit feels positive about.
You also can offer them their favorit foods that aren't all sugar and fat, I always have a stock of dried butterbur, stingy nettles, ash- , willow- and apple leafs for that (and as treats). What is ok to give too are safe greens like narrowleaf plantain, apple leafs, brambles, rose leaves (or other rosoidea plants) - those can be even found in winter.

An upset stomach isn't that uncommon, it doesn't always result in a GI stasis - but waiting and seeing how it turns out, or waiting to see a vet (I'm off to the vet ASAP anyway, but that doesn't work on weekends) is giving away the opportunity to do something when it is most effective - as early as possible. You know, it needs to quite uncomfortable already until we can notice anything wrong, rabbits are great in hiding pain.

If a rabbit stops eating and gets lethargic I also keep them warm.

Is your rabbit in shedding right now, losing more hair than normal?
She just popped, but it looked REALLY weird. It has a mucus attaching it, should we be worried?? We just force fed her too because she hasn't eaten since last night, as far as we know.

She is shedding a little more than usual, but not by much. I haven't brushed her in awhile.

I've decided I'm going to take her to the vet! I'm really worried about her. She's grinding her teeth every now and then. Her ears are cold, and she's not wanting to move. I'm praying she just has GI stasis and they'll be able to make her better! 🙏

Seeing the vet asap is the right thing to do. If it's a blockage due to hair, 1ml of mineral(parafin) oil, 2-3 times 8h apart is a treatment. In that case, as far as I know, force feeding is not recommended.

From my limited experience, gas causes them to loaf up in a corner of their cage, hair block had the effect that they lounged seemingly relaxed, stretched out, acting not that completly wrong, but it all looked wrong in some way. No interest in food in both cases.

Gentle belly massages (or rocking the whole rabbit) and making them move imho can be positive in both issues. Every 2-3 hours, for 10-15 minutes, throughout the night.
I would not wait to delegate the solving of problems to the vet, they can't do wonders and praying doesn't work - the earlier you start to do things the better. Those things I mentioned don't do harm, but can annoy a rabbit (I wear a thick winter jacket and with some rabbits leather gloves so they can bite as much as they want)

Last edited:
Seeing the vet asap is the right thing to do. If it's a blockage due to hair, 1ml of mineral(parafin) oil, 2-3 times 8h apart is a treatment. In that case, as far as I know, force feeding is not recommended.

From my limited experience, gas causes them to loaf up in a corner of their cage, hair block had the effect that they lounged seemingly relaxed, stretched out, acting not that completly wrong, but it all looked wrong in some way. No interest in food in both cases.

Gentle belly massages (or rocking the whole rabbit) and making them move imho can be positive in both issues. Every 2-3 hours, for 10-15 minutes, throughout the night.
I would not wait to delegate the solving of problems to the vet, they can't do wonders and praying doesn't work - the earlier you start do do things the better.
We're waiting at the vet right now, but I think it's going to be awhile. She's acting more awake, and she's been digging and chewing on my clothes. I totally blanked grabbing her some food before we left, but I don't think she's wanting to eat anyways.

Also, it's a bit disrespectful to say praying doesnt work. Prayer is powerful. I'm sorry if that offended you.

Didn't offend me in the least, and no, it is not disrespectfull, I just would be more of the "god helps who helps himself" guy, if I would believe in any kind of god. Our rabbits really don't care about that kind of stuff (I recommend reading "Watership Down" anyway. Movie, although good, just doesn't work for me - read first)

What I forgot to mention is that I syringe them water if they don't drink or eat, guess the vet will give her some fluids.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Didn't offend me in the least, and no, it is not disrespectfull, I just would be more of the "god helps who helps himself" guy, if I would believe in any kind of god. Our rabbits really don't care about that kind of stuff (I recommend reading "Watership Down" anyway. Movie, although good, just doesn't work for me - read first)

What I forgot to mention is that I syringe them water if they don't drink or eat, guess the vet will give her some fluids.

Good luck :)
Still waiting at the vets, she won't eat the grass I've given her. She's otherwise acting normal.
I had to force feed her because she hadn't eaten for a little over 10 hours and didn't want to eat anything, even her favorite treats. I hate doing it but I didn't want her to die. I am taking her to the vets because if she gets worse, she won't be able to be seen until Monday morning, unless I take her to an emergency vet, which I do not have the money for right now.

Update!!!
Lu is home now, I need to feed her critical care ever 2 hours during the day, and every 4 hours at night, and one syringe of water after eating. She has pain meds, because she's in some bad pain. It is GI stasis, but not sure what originally caused it. One of her kidneys is %50 larger than the other, and her teeth are slightly overgrown, but not enough to cause a problem. She seems to be doing alright. She's currently sitting with her buddy, Puddles( orange and white one ).
I think she should be ok, she hopped around a bit when I put her on the floor, but you never know, do you? The vet says that either she'll be ok, or we'll be headed to the emergency vet tomorrow. He doesn't really know.
The vet bill was $135, that was painful, but it needed to be done. I'm so glad shes acting closer to her usual self! Hopefully she'll eat on her own tomorrow!

Attachments

• 16084233112887796068358866913841.jpg
    16084233112887796068358866913841.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 3
Happy healing Lu! Feel better soon, you scared us
I'm already getting nervous again 😅 She ate a small piece of banana, so I tried giving her hay, and now she won't eat it. Shes letting almost all the water I try to syringe her dribble out of her Little mouth. Little brat.
Im hardly going to sleep tonight:rolleyes:

I have a Bunny who suffers alot with gut stasis, banana and even a few bits will set it off, one raspberry will, 3slices of carrot, the tiniest little things. ‘Dual care’ nuggets have been an absolute blessing!!!! He has one spoon in his breakfast and one spoon in his dinner and not had a problem since i have been using them, please do read up as they are the best ongoing thing for buns with any digestive issues.

SHES EATING NORMALLY!!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉 so far I haven't seen her poop or pee, but she is acting like her usual grumpy self. Last night when I was trying to syringe feed her, she wouldn't take it, and wouldn't eat her treats. But she was eating hay.

I don't know what caused her GI stasis, but it looks like it's clearded up. I'll have to watch what she eats very carefully I guess. I'm just glad shes eating again.

I'm happy she is doing better! Did the vet check her teeth for molar spurs? Sometimes pain causes Gi-stasis. Has there been any diet changes, housing changes, stress, etc? It is important that you know what caused stasis so you can prevent it from happening again.

Sorry about the huge vet bill! I know how it feels!

I'm happy she is doing better! Did the vet check her teeth for molar spurs? Sometimes pain causes Gi-stasis. Has there been any diet changes, housing changes, stress, etc? It is important that you know what caused stasis so you can prevent it from happening again.

Sorry about the huge vet bill! I know how it feels!
The vet said her teeth are slightly overgrown, but not enough to cause a problem yet. They will have to do something to her teeth, but I'm going to wait until I have the money to pay for it.

There has been no changes in her diet at all.
The vet said she was a bit chubby too, she now she can't have many treats. I think shes chubby because she eats more than her share of pellets. She and her buddy Puddles eat out of the same feeder, because they won't eat separately. 😂

I can't think of anything that could have caused her stress. Maybe something spooked her one day that we didn't hear or see, they're outside bunnies. Currently Lu and Puddles are inside in my room so they don't have to be separate while Lu is getting better.

Just wanted to jump on here for a (hopefully) final update! She just peed, she hasn't in over 24 hours, and she's pooping a little, the poops are very tiny, but she is pooping. She's currently sitting under our Christmas tree, her new favorite hideout, munching on some pellets. Going to keep her inside tonight, and give her her pain medication, then hopefully tomorrow, she'll be %100 herself!

The vet said her teeth are slightly overgrown, but not enough to cause a problem yet. They will have to do something to her teeth, but I'm going to wait until I have the money to pay for it.

There has been no changes in her diet at all.
The vet said she was a bit chubby too, she now she can't have many treats. I think shes chubby because she eats more than her share of pellets. She and her buddy Puddles eat out of the same feeder, because they won't eat separately. 😂

I can't think of anything that could have caused her stress. Maybe something spooked her one day that we didn't hear or see, they're outside bunnies. Currently Lu and Puddles are inside in my room so they don't have to be separate while Lu is getting better.
Her teeth are probably what caused this, so the sooner they are filed the better. I would try to figure out how many pellets she is getting. Her being overweight could have caused this too. You can put a playpen in between Puddles and her and feed them separately, but so they can still see each other.

I'm glad she finally peed! Her poops should return to normal by tomorrow, it takes time for rabbits to recover. Don't give her too much medicine unless she really needs it because the medicine can sometimes hurt their tummies.

Latest posts

Back