Help - Newborn kits, mother just passed away. - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, Vanessa!!!!! You are so wonderful to help like that! Praying that those kits make it! If they do, I suggest one be named after you! lol Its so nice to see a forum "home" where members pull together like a real family! :bunnyheart I needed this today! Hoping & praying for more good news with Meadow's kits.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I was on the phone all morning calling Nova Scotia pet stores and clinics to find one that had kitten replacement milk in. Some would have shipped it but were sold out and waiting for a new order to come in.
I finally found the one that had it and guess what? Was beside a post office! What a stroke of luck!!! I'm crossing my fingers Tammy will get online and start reading this.. once the bigger package gets there Monday she will be set!

I'm praying that they make it also. They are the same age Chico and Chica was when I had to start taking care of them
on my own so I totally understand and am totally rooting for them to make it. I know if I could get Chico and Chica going and alive and they are here NOW and I knew NOTHING about bunnies then, Tammy can do it also!

Vanessa

Hello Everybody..Vanessa is the best :)

2 of the lil ones died this morning :(

The other 2 are doing ok still pretty strong but i am getting scared now
they are sooo small and tiny...They have peed on their own and pooped as well as me doing it but i am nervous as the formula i have isn't good for them so i found out...So should i just stop feeding them until the kitten replacement gets here tomorrow?

I don't want to harm them any more than they already are :(

They got pretty cold once already but they seem to be warming up again and still fiesty which is a good sign i think :)

I really want these guys to make it :cry4:

I'm so sorry you lost two but I am praying the remaining babies make it. Sorry I can't answer any questions as I've never had any experience with baby bunnies. Big bunny hugs to you for all that you are doing for Meadow's babies. I know she appreciated your love & care & now your doing all that you can for her babies. Come on little guys! We need good bunny news!

Don't stop feeding them, something is better than nothing. Newborns will quickly get weak and die if not fed. You're feeding them several times a day? It's important to keep them warm!

She just got some goat milk to give to them and is going to start them on that until the kitten replacement milk gets there tomorrow! PHEW!! The two little ones are still around thank goodness! Praise the Lord!!

Vanessa

She just got some goat milk to give to them and is going to start them on that until the kitten replacement milk gets there tomorrow! PHEW!! The two little ones are still around thank goodness! Praise the Lord!!

Vanessa

Just lost kit #3...#4 is still goin strong....Got the milk and preparing to be up all night if that's what it takes to get this lil one through..

Please pray for him/her :in tears:

I have him in my hat and on my lap...I'm not letting him/her out of my sight.Tomorrow morning first thing at 8 am i will be at the post office waiting for the doors to open.

I have named the lil one Hope :heartbeat:.

Praying that Hope lives up to his/her name! Come on, Hope! My little Hope is rooting for another Hope in the bunny family! So sorry for another loss with the third kit! Come on, little Hope we need you! Hugs & prayers for you & little Hope!

Man I'm so sad to hear #3 went. That sucks. You've been feeding Hope right? Just keep feeding Hope and yes, I would stay up all night and if you have to send your boyfriend to the post office, do that to pick up the package. Is Hope eating?
Are you keeping Hope warm? It can be done with only one bunny, so don't lose faith and hope ok?

Just keep in constant contact with Hope until Monday or Tuesday if you need to since Mom is gone. Were you able to find any fur or you still have enough fur from the old nest so Hope will still think Mom is still around.

Hang in there,
Vanessa

Good Morning Everybody....

Bad News...Hope passed away at 6:47 am....Despite everything i did it wasn't enough...She just couldn't hold on :(
I feel like i have failed Meadow....And i have come down pretty sick with the flu overnight as well...I hope this didn't contribute to the kits deaths...

Vanessa has been wonderful and i thank her and all of you for your advice and prayers for Hope...Vanessa has been there with me from the very beginning and if Hope could have held on for another hour i would have had the kitten replacement formula ..i guess it wasn't meant to be but it still doesn't help the hurt and fustration i am feeling right now...She was with me all night and was fine till about an hour after her last feeding...Then she started to fade quickly on me...I'm not sure what exactly happened but it's like she just gave up.

R.I.P Hope :bunnyheart

Tammy I am so so sorry! I was hoping & praying that Hope would make it for you & Meadow. I know the pain, frustration & all of the emotions that go with losing a life like Hope. I used to do wildlife rehab. Bunny kits are, in my opinion, the toughest mammal to surrogate for a missing mom. You did all that you could for Hope & her siblings as well as giving Meadow a loving home before she passed. She & her kits knew your love. Love & caring are, once again in my opinion, the most important gifts that a human can give to any living creature. Big hugs to you. I hope the pain of Meadow & her kits passing will ease soon & you will take comfort in knowing you did everything you could for them but most importantly you gave them your love and care.

Take care & get over that cold/flu! (((((Hugs)))))

Thank you Tauntz...I still have papa here and he's such a funny lil dude...He knew something was up last night and this mornin won't leave my side...So i've got him comforting me and i still need to be strong to help aid him in the rest of his recovery..It is ripping my heart apart that i couldn't do anything for meadow,hope and the others but he is still here and needs me just like the others did so i'm going to put everything else i got left into making sure Stewie has a great recovery and a wonderful life...Maybe later on in the year i will consider getting another bun but i am right now not emotionaly nor finanicialy prepared to have any more pets...

I'm so sorry the little bun didn't make it :( You really did all you could. Baby rabbits are just extremely difficult to hand raise. No, you having the flu wouldn't have affected the baby. It was likely due to breathing in the milk, which is very hard to avoid happening, and one of the main reasons raising them is so hard to do successfully.

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Rest up and give Stewie lots of cuddles :)

I'm so sorry the little bun didn't make it :( You really did all you could. Baby rabbits are just extremely difficult to hand raise. No, you having the flu wouldn't have affected the baby. It was likely due to breathing in the milk, which is very hard to avoid happening, and one of the main reasons raising them is so hard to do successfully.

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Rest up and give Stewie lots of cuddles :)

Thank You JBun....

I could see last night that she had milk in her belly after she died and she was using the bathroom extremely well and didn't seem to have any breathing problems at all...She went to sleep on my chest inside her lil blanket that she was wrapped in after eating and going to the bathroom ...She just didn't wake up :(.

I guess it wasn't meant to be!

Latest posts

Back