Help.. new baby.. naughty rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole.white21

Reaction score
We’ve had Simba almost 3 years and he has always been alright in the litter department. We got rid of his litter box as was using his cage. His cage has always been open and he has run of the house. We close him into the room when we go bed or out. The room is a decent size room. He had the odd accident around the house but not much. He was nurtured when he was younger.
Since having a baby 8 months ago the problems started. He started peeing around the house. And now pooping.. more and more as time has gone on. It’s got to the point where I want to get rid of him. My baby ate some Poo this morning - I hoovered them all but must have missed one. We love him like a member of the family and he’s my 11 year olds daughters best friend. He is really friendly and sociable.
As I’m writing this he’s just blatantly done 6 poos right next to me on the sofa so been put back in his room.(I’m in another room) The amount he litters the floor in his room is getting worse and worse. About 100 this morning.
Can he be retrained? I’d feel really mean keeping him in his cage now because he’s used to being free but if it works I will do it.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Fed up rabbit mum

Your rabbit soubds like they want to reclaim territory. But 8 months, he should've calmed by now.
Sure, you can try retraining him, starting from his room.
Has his litter setup changed? If he's having constant accidents, has he been checked by the vet?

So to clarify... your 3 year old rabbit has started to poo (& pee) all over ever since you got a 2nd rabbit (8 months ago). Is that correct?

Are either of your rabbits neutered?

Are you planning on trying to bond the 2 rabbits?

If there are no intentions of bonding them, then they should ideally each be kept in totally separate areas of the home and never go in a space that the other one goes. Otherwise, you'll continue to be dealing with one or both of them attempting to mark their territory.

This doesn't sound like bad potty habits but intentional marking of territory. That would be completely understandable since the older rabbit will feel threatened by the presence of another rabbit in his perceived territory.

If they become bonded, the marking should subside and then they'd be able to share spaces. Otherwise, the marking will continue (and the younger one may also join in and try to mark areas as well).

Your rabbit soubds like they want to reclaim territory. But 8 months, he should've calmed by now.
Sure, you can try retraining him, starting from his room.
Has his litter setup changed? If he's having constant accidents, has he been checked by the vet?

He’s got worse over the 8 months. I recently got another litter tray to see if that works.. he’s done some in there but he does it everywhere. The past few days he’s started to do loads right by the door of the room. I think his wee is going in his cage.. or mostly anyway. Has done the odd one on sofa and near babies toys.
Not been checked by the vet didn’t think of that.
Should I keep him in his cage till he goes in his litter tray? Then let him out once he’s mastered that again?

thanks

Nicole

So to clarify... your 3 year old rabbit has started to poo (& pee) all over ever since you got a 2nd rabbit (8 months ago). Is that correct?

Are either of your rabbits neutered?

Are you planning on trying to bond the 2 rabbits?

If there are no intentions of bonding them, then they should ideally each be kept in totally separate areas of the home and never go in a space that the other one goes. Otherwise, you'll continue to be dealing with one or both of them attempting to mark their territory.

This doesn't sound like bad potty habits but intentional marking of territory. That would be completely understandable since the older rabbit will feel threatened by the presence of another rabbit in his perceived territory.

If they become bonded, the marking should subside and then they'd be able to share spaces. Otherwise, the marking will continue (and the younger one may also join in and try to mark areas as well).

It’s a human baby. He’s the only animal in the house. He will literally sit next to me on the sofa and poop. And he peed on the sofa while we was all sat on it too. He used to have the odd accident but I don’t think these are accidents because it’s all the time.

thanks

Nicole

It’s a human baby. He’s the only animal in the house. He will literally sit next to me on the sofa and poop. And he peed on the sofa while we was all sat on it too. He used to have the odd accident but I don’t think these are accidents because it’s all the time.

thanks

Nicole

Also he is neutered. He had it done when he was small as had to have an operation on his teeth so did at the same time the poor bunny.

Latest posts

Back