help needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bop

Reaction score
could anyone tell me why my rabbit has died suddenly. he was 9 month old and was very healthy till 3pm today,when i went out to feed him he was sitting very still and not interested in his food so i took him in and cuddled him incase he was just cold,about 90 minutes later he couldnt sit up at all then about 15 minutes later he went rigid and died.i would like another one but im devastated that this has happened anyone knowing what it could possibly have happened please let me know R.I.P snowy much loved and missed xx

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your rabbit. It's very difficult to venture a guess with so little info. Your little guy could have succumbed from any number of things such as viral illness or a unknown genetic condition such as heart defect.

Generally, a necropsy done by the vet can reveal some clues as to why the rabbit died.

Pam

Yes, apparently healthy rabbits can die suddenly. If you suspect that your rabbit was poisoned, you will need to have tests run at the vet to know for certain.

Pam

I'm so sorry :(.

That's odd. I went through a similar thing, but my girl Pepsi went from decent condition to passed away just over night last Saturday.

When was the last time you checked him before you noticed a behavoir difference? Any change in appettite leading to when he you noticed something wasn't right?

Is your yard secluded, or could someone get into it if they wanted easily? Anything tampered with in the cage? Unless you get a vet to do a necropsy, you really can't tell for sure with small animals.

he was perfectly healthy at lunch time when i checked on him.he was well and fine since i bought him.never had any health problems with him in which case i hadnt registered him with a vet(know for next time to register).but it all happened so quickly last night it was awful.i cried bucketfulls and not ready to get another one so soon

Hi

I am so sorry to hear of your loss:(

I see that you are in the UK. Was your Bunny vaccinated against VHD (Viral Haemorrhagic Disease)? This is a very nasty virus which can kill within hours:(

It is very hard to come to terms with such a sudden unexpected loss of a beloved Rabbit. I would certainly advise that you dispose of your dear Buns hutch as IF it was VHD that caused his untimely death the Virus can remain in the housing environment and contaminated soil for many months.

Janex

I just wanted to say Im sorry for your loss. Its very difficult to lose your friend, especially when it is sudden and unexpected.

Sending good thoughts your way...:pray:

-Haley

Latest posts

Back