HELP NEEDED - scabbing and swollen area around vent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

išŸ¤hollands

Reaction score
I just purchased a new doe from a breeder as part of an entire herd I'm taking on. Aside from needing nail trims and a few mite treatments, they're all in great condition. However, I was just checking the does vents to see it they are ready to breed, and one of the girls looks really bad. Her entire area is swollen and protruded, and there is scabbing and flaky skin. The fur has all fallen out. I can still push her vent out and it looks clean(it's pink/red like normal) and she's pooping/peeing fine. Does anyone know what this might be? She was last bred winter of 21. My theory is that she has a parasite like mites that has caused the fur falling out/scabs/flaky skin, but I'm worried its something more serious due to the fact it's swollen. So far my research has turned up a few things, a bacterial infection, infected scent glands, and worst case scenario myxomatosis...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 6.42.43 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 6.42.43 PM.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 9.50.25 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 9.50.25 PM.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 9.50.26 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 9.50.26 PM.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 8
First guess would be rabbit syphilis or some other type of virus.
Was she put into quaranteen when you got her? How many other rabbits do you have from this person?
I just got her today, along with 5 other bunnies. With their breeder they were in wire cages completely separated by plywood, with me she's in a pen away from my own bunnies. I asked the breeder and she said she hadn't noticed it. When I went to look at these bunnies and see if I wanted to purchase them about 3 weeks ago, there was nothing wrong with her vent. I just picked them up today and saw it.
Is there anything I can do at home to help her or does she need a prescribed treatment?

I just got her today, along with 5 other bunnies. With their breeder they were in wire cages completely separated by plywood, with me she's in a pen away from my own bunnies. I asked the breeder and she said she hadn't noticed it. When I went to look at these bunnies and see if I wanted to purchase them about 3 weeks ago, there was nothing wrong with her vent. I just picked them up today and saw it.
Is there anything I can do at home to help her or does she need a prescribed treatment?
she hasn't been in contact with a buck since she she was bred in November, so I don't believe it could be syphilis based on the fact she looked fine 3 weeks ago.

It looks like vent disease/rabbit syphilis to me if those pictures are any indication. Which is a bacterial infection; you would need to get antibiotics to treat it. It can spread more ways than just from breeding them.

It looks like vent disease/rabbit syphilis to me if those pictures are any indication. Which is a bacterial infection; you would need to get antibiotics to treat it. It can spread more ways than just from breeding them.
Ok. Thanks for the info, I thought it was just transmitted when you bred them! I'll take her to my vet soon, see what he thinks and get some meds. I'm glad there's an possible explanation for it besides myxomatosis or something worse!
Once it clears up and I've given her plenty of time to recover, is there any reason I shouldn't breed her again?

Ok. Thanks for the info, I thought it was just transmitted when you bred them! I'll take her to my vet soon, see what he thinks and get some meds. I'm glad there's an possible explanation for it besides myxomatosis or something worse!
Once it clears up and I've given her plenty of time to recover, is there any reason I shouldn't breed her again?
myxomatosis isn't really found in tennessee. It's mostly in europe and australia; and the few US cases have been on the west coast iirc and not in recent years. If it does clear up after antibiotics I wouldn't see no reason not to try breeding her again BUT you need to carry the antibiotics through to the end whenever your vet advises. It might clear up and look like its gone but if you stop the antibiotics and breed her before the full course of it is over it may come back stronger than before.

myxomatosis isn't really found in tennessee. It's mostly in europe and australia; and the few US cases have been on the west coast iirc and not in recent years. If it does clear up after antibiotics I wouldn't see no reason not to try breeding her again BUT you need to carry the antibiotics through to the end whenever your vet advises. It might clear up and look like its gone but if you stop the antibiotics and breed her before the full course of it is over it may come back stronger than before.
Ok, thanks so much for your help! I'll definitely finish the round of antibiotics and look forward to hopefully breeding her again.

Latest posts

Back