Help! NEED TO KNOW FOR SURE what this is.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homework9293

Reaction score
I was recently given a rabbit on an app called Kijiji. The previous owner said he was a rescue and they just had him to the vet a month ago.

The owner was pretty persistent in letting me know they would never give away a sick animal.

When I received the rabbit (Rusty, 4 years old) he looked like he was shaking he head quite a bit and itching the one ear.

I confronted the owner about it who said the vet claimed it was dry skin in the one ear.

I'm leaning more towards thinking it's ear mites. I am uploading some photos to see if you guys can help me

Attachments

• 20220521_155317.jpg
    20220521_155317.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220521_155258.jpg
    20220521_155258.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 16
It looks like ear mites to me
They can definitely show up within a month
Are they contagious to humans? I'm trying to find him someone who can treat him as I don't find its fair I have to pay for something the owner lied about.

Will it infect me at all in the meantime of waiting for someone else?

No, not contagious. Easily treated with a few drops of oil in the ear - I used baby oil - every second day for 2-3 weeks. I added flower of sulphur to the oil since that is toxic to mites, but that's just me. Worked like a charm.

A vet would give another medication, works too.

Mites most times aren't a big thing, easily dealt with.

No, not contagious. Easily treated with a few drops of oil in the ear - I used baby oil - every second day for 2-3 weeks. I added flower of sulphur to the oil since that is toxic to mites, but that's just me. Worked like a charm.

How do I get it in his ear though? He doesn't like me touching his ear at all.

Also is he okay to free roam still around my room?

Ear mites aren't usually something that will affect people. If you can get Xeno 450(ivermectin, spot on)in Canada, that is a treatment for mites with rabbits. The other rabbit safe treatment for mites is Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin), but here in the US it's prescription, I'm not sure about Canada.

Medirabbit: ear mites

If you don't get your rabbit to the vet before you start treatment for the ear mites, it would be a good idea to at least go at some point after, so that once the ear crusts have fallen out, the vet can check to make sure there isn't a secondary bacterial infection.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Ear mites aren't usually something that will affect people. If you can get Xeno 450(ivermectin, spot on)in Canada, that is a treatment for mites with rabbits. The other rabbit safe treatment for mites is Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin), but here in the US it's prescription, I'm not sure about Canada.

Medirabbit: ear mites

If you don't get your rabbit to the vet before you start treatment for the ear mites, it would be a good idea to at least go at some point after, so that once the ear crusts have fallen out, the vet can check to make sure there isn't a secondary bacterial infection.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
So is it safe to say he's still okay to free roam?

Sorry to hear that you was given a “possibly” sick rabbit I know this all too well. I knew something was wrong with my cadbury when I seen how he was cared for but chose to take him anyway thinking easy fix for the vet ummm no to this day I have over $1300 in him that has put me behind in other animal rescues that I have rescued over the years in their care annual vet trips for just the yearly checkups almost everything I’ve taken in has some kind of condition do too lack of right care . He’s lucky you have found him but I will say I know you don’t feel you should pay his vet bill but he is now your responsibility either way so for the future you will still have to get him some vet care there is other stuff like spaying , neutering, vaccinations if your going to take it outside, unforeseen vet emergency situations so your bun bun will be a life long commitment. I don’t see issue free roaming just my opinion but I’m also new to rabbit ownership also make sure you have rabbit proofed your room I’m sure there is a good link somewhere on here . Good luck hope everything works out for you and your new bun bun . Keep us posted on how it does.

Latest posts

Back