HELP! Need some advice on rabbit moult

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hi guys!!

Normally my threads don’t get many replies so I’m hoping this one gets seen as I really need some advice!

My mini lop male, (he turned one yesterday) is currently moulting a lot. We are in Australia, so currently it is winter time. The weather has been pretty mild, however a few weeks ago (maybe two?) there was a cold snap and it started getting colder. There doesn’t appear to be any bald patches, but it’s when I pat him, the air becomes full of hair! Is it normal for a bunny to moult this much during winter time?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Don’t know how cold it is in australia during winter, but once when one of bunnies started to molt to summer fur before winter was over. It was because of two weeks of normal spring temperature but later spiked down to -15 °C again. He had a heavy molting but I just made sure he had a lot of straw and changed his water many times. That year he had more than just one molting because of the too early molting.

He just stayed more in his cage instead of jumping out to the snow that came and stayed protected, until his fur was thick again and he could play in the snow.

In fact bunnies handle cold weather better than warm.

Spring time molting for my bunnies happens around 10 °C while winter molting happens when the temperature goes under 10°C.

While my indoor bunny start to molt when the house get warmer during summer time and when the house get cold during winter. He often spend most of the winter pressed up to the heater 🤣

Mine get a bit mopy when they go into heavy sheds. There seem to be a commonality in heavy shedding seasons as people in Boston report heavy season at the same time my NY bunnies are having the samy kind of heavy shedding. One of them is now getting the fly away fur at this time. I just use the Furbuster or a hairbrush to help him along. Mine are indoor so temperature is not the cause. Could be the light as this article states Fur Loss and Skin Problems in Domestic Rabbits As long as no bald spots are remaining, which could mean mites, it is "normal".

Latest posts

Back