Help!!! My rabbit won’t stop spraying me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabrina Stanley

Reaction score
Just under a month ago I adopted a 2 year old unneutered lion head rabbit. The last couple of weeks he decided he like to spray me and only me! What does this mean and how can I get him to stop? For context: he has a large cage in the room that we leave open, we rent a room in a house with dogs but he is free to hop around the room and particularly likes hopping on top of his cage which is covered with a cloth. He used to be allowed on the bed until he decided it was his new favorite place to pee and poop...he drops lil poops everywhere but for the most part poops in his litter box and only pees there, and now we have the bed blocked off when we can’t supervise him with an x pen but he still has most of the room for himself. At first he was very shy but now isn’t afraid of us, he’ll come up to us and occasionally let us pet him and he will eat oats out of our hand. He has a lot of toys he likes to rub his chin on and chew. But the last 2 weeks when ive been on the floor with him, it’s been so weird cuz he acts all happy and playful, hopping on me and around me and then all of a sudden his lil tail lifts and boom, he flicks a stream on me! Last night I was watching him closely and he was acting all cute and I turned around for one second and it’s on my leg! I wiped it off and then put my leg in front of him and he sniffed it like he was all proud of himself. What do i do?? I want to get him neutered but it’s so expensive where I live, $500 USD. I’m currently searching for a low cost clinic that takes rabbits. But like I said, what the heck?!?:(

Unfortunately, neutering will be the only real solution... As a positive, he really loves you if he's spraying you. I remember scheduling my rabbit's neuter after his balls became visible, and two weeks approaching the neuter date was when he started spraying.... It was the longest two weeks of my life. Essentially, I would get up and walk away when I could see he was getting roused up to spray. It sounds like you're also noticing the behavioral signs as well. It's not something you should punish a rabbit for (not saying you are; just a general statement!) and I know it's very difficult not to get frustrated at it, but it is a very instinctive behavior. I had to keep telling myself that when I got sprayed directly in the mouth because I was talking to my rabbit at the time, haha.

Unsure if it will work, but he's trying to spread his scent on you. Maybe if you wore a blanket of his around your legs or designated a pair of pants you wear at home that always has his scent, it may lessen his impulse to do it? So if your leg already smells like him, he may be dissuaded from doing it.

Best of luck. US neuter prices are steep, so do your best to find an affordable option. Perhaps you can also discuss payment plans with some vets too! I was able to neuter my rabbit for $275 in PA.

Unfortunately, neutering will be the only real solution... As a positive, he really loves you if he's spraying you. I remember scheduling my rabbit's neuter after his balls became visible, and two weeks approaching the neuter date was when he started spraying.... It was the longest two weeks of my life. Essentially, I would get up and walk away when I could see he was getting roused up to spray. It sounds like you're also noticing the behavioral signs as well. It's not something you should punish a rabbit for (not saying you are; just a general statement!) and I know it's very difficult not to get frustrated at it, but it is a very instinctive behavior. I had to keep telling myself that when I got sprayed directly in the mouth because I was talking to my rabbit at the time, haha.

Unsure if it will work, but he's trying to spread his scent on you. Maybe if you wore a blanket of his around your legs or designated a pair of pants you wear at home that always has his scent, it may lessen his impulse to do it? So if your leg already smells like him, he may be dissuaded from doing it.

Best of luck. US neuter prices are steep, so do your best to find an affordable option. Perhaps you can also discuss payment plans with some vets too! I was able to neuter my rabbit for $275 in PA.

Love your user name and response...it’s been a while since my post and my bun has been more outgoing than ever...last night he laid right up against me on his stomach the same way I was, I was flattered and honored. I’ve kind of just accepted my fate and let him spray me cuz once he gets me he won’t do it again but I’ll try and anticipate it so it gets on my arm or leg instead of my FACE which happened the day after I posted this lol. Still hoping to find someone trustworthy and affordable to neuter him nearby but I’m just accepting his testosterone fueled antics in the meantime.

Latest posts

Back