Help! My Rabbit is lethargic, and is reluctant to move (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISAC QUIN HOOER

Reaction score
Hi,

I need help diagnosing what issue/sickness my rabbit has. Camomile is a mixed breed bunny, 7 and a half months old and never had a problem. She is feeling (or looks like to me):

• lethargic
  • tired
  • reluctant to move
  • lets me pick her up
  • isn't eating much
  • rapid/raspy breathing (she has always had a but of raspy breathing since the day she was born)
could it be bloat?

We just got back from a 2 day beach vacation, we had left Tuesday evening, and got back at 1:30 today. they had unlimited hay, and a double serving of pellets, and hidden carrots in their area, so they had enough food. We house our 15 (or so) rabbits outside, and have done fine.

We just brought her inside, and supplied her with all the food she needs, and have an eye on her. i am going to buy some critical care, and if she is still feeling bad, i will take her to a vet and get her checked out.

Please let me know what you think 🙏

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo on 10-14-22 at 3.39 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-14-22 at 3.39 PM.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 2
If you need a diagnosis, you'll need to get your rabbit to the vet for that. Remember, we aren't vets here. I, and others, can give suggestions of what some possibilities might be, based on our own knowledge and our own experience with rabbits, but all this is in the end, is our opinion. Diagnosing a medical problem or emergency situation needs to be done by an experienced rabbit vet.

Increased noisy breathing could be stress from feeling unwell and being in pain, including from bloat, it could be respiratory like pneumonia, it could be a heart issue, or it could be something else. If your rabbit seems to be breathing harder(labored breathing) as well as faster, and if those breath sounds do seem to have a noisy sound to them(raspy, wheezing, crackling, wet, etc), then there is a possibility this is a critical emergency and you would need to get your rabbit to the vet immediately.

If it's not noisy breath sounds and no labored breathing, but just increased breathing rate and still being responsive though not wanting to move much, and just seeming uncomfortable, I'll usually try the baby gas drops, 1ml each hour for 3 hours(info in link below), warming my rabbit up(usually get hypothermic when sick), maybe encouraging a hop around, and if there's no improvement or if there is a deterioration of condition, I'll then get my rabbit to the vet right away. Gentle stomach massage can sometimes help too, but NOT if there is any chance of bloat being involved(feels like an inflated balloon just below the ribs).

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer/
Also, please don't syringe feed anything until a vet has ruled out bloat and a complete obstruction, or you risk making it much worse, as this puts increased pressure on the heart/lungs and stomach, possibly risking rupture of the stomach or compression of the heart and lungs, which could cause cardiac arrest. Even the minimal amount of giving baby gas drops, could possibly be a risk as well.

thanks everyone for your sympathy.

i found this GIF/video of Camo chewing that always makes me smile (just click it)

i probably get a holland lop in the spring 🐇

Attachments

• Media.GIF
    Media.GIF
    10.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back