Help my Rabbit Fell!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaspa-minilop

Reaction score
I had my bunny snuggled in my chest when he scrambled up and over my shoulder before I could stop him and he fell in the ground.
I feel terrible. He later there kicking for a sec before I scooped him up.
He is only 8 weeks old. He is a quiet and looks sleepy now I’m worries he might have a concussion. I have been shocking on him and he did go for a bit of a run around not long ago and has had something to eat. He keeps squinting though. He is not as bright eyed as normal. Should I be worried?

If your bunny seem to be in pain, take the bunny to a vet and see if they can find anything wrong.

Have you tried feeling around on your bunny and looked after if he react differently if you put pressure.

Bunnies hide their pain and can be really hard to notice. So if you see anything that’s different than normal for example squiting eyes and tooth grinding it can be signs of pain.

Such a small kit falling from a shoulder height it’s quite high.

I have been checking and he was up and about eating. He seems to be hopping around ok. I have felt him over and he didn’t seem to be in any pain.

If he’s hopping around and don’t seem to pull back while you feel him, then you will just keep your eyes on him for signs. It might just be he was scared.

I hope so I feel terrible.

Accidents happens, myself have always made sure to hold my bunnies securely. But I had managed to kick and also close the door on my bunnies. I even watch one of them falling from a high table. I had no time to get to him before he fell. Later on I lined the whole floor around the table with pillows, but my bunny never climbed up onto that table again after his fall.

So it’s quite hard keeping them safe all the time and it’s normal that accidents happens.

I'm happy that he's OK but like all accidents it should be a wake up call to avoid it in future.Many moons ago I was a zoo keeper,and among many other things,I was taught to always think of the worst that can happen and plan for it.This especially includes holding and handling animals.In the case of rabbits,especially small active ones,my personal view would be to never hold with only one hand.Whether close to your chest or across it in a 'cuddle 'hold,always have a steadying hand in place and feel for sudden muscle movements,They are explosive jumpers,and like frogs,don't always look or think about where they're going to land.I wouldn't necessarily say never carry him anywhere in your arms,as you may have to,I would simply say don't do it one handed and never forget that he's probably quicker than you and he knows when he's going to jump-you don't!

Latest posts

Back