Help-My rabbit cut her lip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willa20202

Reaction score
Hello, earlier today I picked up my lionhead rabbit and she jumped out of my arms. She fell on the floor and I think she bit her lip because her upper lip has a cut and looks a little torn. I already checked her for any other injures and I don't think she has any other than the lip. Plus she is acting normally and dose not look like she is uncomfortable or in any pain. Her muzzle is damp though because she has been licking her lips quite a bit. I looked at the cut and it dose look like a small piece of the skin is torn and there is a shallow cut. The wound has a little blood on it but it isn't bleeding that much. I would love to put medicine on it but if I do put anything on, she will swallow it for sure and I don't know if it will make her sick. The wound looks to small to be stitched but I would really like another opinion before I take her to the vet or anything. What do you think I should do?

From that angle it doesn't appear to be split open. I wouldn't put anything on it but would just keep an eye on it to make sure any swelling goes down and there are no signs of infection over the next few days. Biggest thing is making sure the front incisors weren't damaged, and that eating remains normal. If in doubt if there's a problem or if eating is being affected, contact a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thanks for your reply! I checked her teeth and they look normal, not damaged or anything. So far she is still eating regularly and pooping too. I will post if anything is changing or if I see a vet.

That doesn't look normal. If the inflammation is that bad, that it's pushing the two sides of the lips apart that far, and if that is white pus in the cut, then your rabbit needs to be seen by your vet and get on anti inflammatories and antibiotics. If the swelling is down by tomorrow and that isn't actually white pus in the cut, then it might be ok.

Her lips are not spread apart, I had to move
her mouth a little so you could see the wound. But I’m not sure if the white part of the cut is swelled skin or pus. But the cut looks very small. I just don’t know what the white little lump is, although it has not gotten any bigger then it already is, it has not changed since she bite her lip.

Oh wait I'm so sorry, Im new to this website. But I just checked on my rabbit and now I see the cut is small and shallow, and the white stuff is a bit yellowish. I think it looks like pus. I had already dabbed the cut with a damp cotton ball, but should I clean the pus? I mean I think pus is supposed to mean its healing right? And my rabbit once had a small cut on her leg, there was some white/yellowish pus on it but I lightly cleaned it and the cut healed within a week. I dont really think the wound is inflammed though and yeah I did move her lips for the picture so you could see the wound. When her lips are together you can't really see it. And thanks again for your advice and sorry that I am kinda all over the place. I get really paranoid about my rabbit.

Last edited:
my male bit the end of my female's lip clean off when she was a baby. her wound looked similar, and she did have to get a few dissolvable stitches. if it looks like it could be getting infected (you said there is pus, that could be a sign), you should probably take her to the vet if possible.

The white could just be a bit of dead skin, but you would need to check and determine if that's what it is. Pus doesn't mean it's healing. Pus means there's a bacterial infection, and that needs to be treated with rabbit safe antibiotics(not all antibiotics are safe for rabbits). If you think it's infected, you should get your rabbit to the vet.

Latest posts

Back