Help my rabbit ate some chocolate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexi xo

Reaction score
My rabbit isn't 1 years old yet and he got hold of some chocolate when I wasn't looking and now I don't know what to do he didn't eat much but I'm really worried about what it's gonna do to him

Since rabbits cannot vomit vets would sometimes give rabbits a shot that makes them poop more to try to pass the chocolate out of their system. Since it's a small amount it may be ok but I would suggest feeding more hay and veggies to help it pass through quicker, probably some wet foods like cucumber might help?

He's got lots of hay and water just worried about him cuz I'm not gonna be with him till Sunday night

Since rabbits cannot vomit vets would sometimes give rabbits a shot that makes them poop more to try to pass the chocolate out of their system. Since it's a small amount it may be ok but I would suggest feeding more hay and veggies to help it pass through quicker, probably some wet foods like cucumber might help?
If you feel you need to make your rabbit poop it out, if you have an oral syringe, you can give 1 ml of mineral oil.

Hey, what type of chocolate was it? Are you sure it was real chocolate? If it was a chocolate donut or something, it probably didn’t have much real chocolate in it. My bunny once ate 1/4 of a cosmic brownie that was on my desk, and she was totally fine! If you can’t bring them to the vet, then just feed her extra hay and veggies! Keep an eye on their poops, if they’re not pooping you have an issue! Likewise if they stop eating or drinking. Just be aware of any abnormal behaviors and once the vets open up again, if she’s not better by then, DEFINITELY bring her in. However I have faith your bunny will recover by then! I recommend giving her a helping handful of spinach to help it all go through :)

Hey, what type of chocolate was it? Are you sure it was real chocolate? If it was a chocolate donut or something, it probably didn’t have much real chocolate in it. My bunny once ate 1/4 of a cosmic brownie that was on my desk, and she was totally fine! If you can’t bring them to the vet, then just feed her extra hay and veggies! Keep an eye on their poops, if they’re not pooping you have an issue! Likewise if they stop eating or drinking. Just be aware of any abnormal behaviors and once the vets open up again, if she’s not better by then, DEFINITELY bring her in. However I have faith your bunny will recover by then! I recommend giving her a helping handful of spinach to help it all go through :)
Thank you ill do that I hope he'll be fine cuz i can't take him to the vets tomorrow cuz I've got appointments but it was a milk chocolate bar so I'm hoping hell recover and I won't need to worry but just gonna stay up tonight to keep a eye on him

Thank you ill do that I hope he'll be fine cuz i can't take him to the vets tomorrow cuz I've got appointments but it was a milk chocolate bar so I'm hoping hell recover and I won't need to worry but just gonna stay up tonight to keep a eye on him
Just do the best you can and that’s all you can do! Sadly you can’t undo what’s done, only time will tell, but I have faith in your bunny! Just watch those poops, and give him healthy snacks, best of luck to the both of you :D remain positive, and keep updating here until you’re confident your bunny is okay

because your bunny didn't eat a large amount, he should be fine :) i've had my rabbit eat half a chocolate truffle, and she was fine! just watch him for a day, incase he gets sick, so make sure your bunny is acting normal. Rabbits CANNOT vomit and you have to be careful about what they eat.
good luck with your little rabbit friend!

I find rabbits can eat more stuff they're not supposed to than we think. My bunnies get into everything from chocolate to plastic bags and getting into the treat jar and eating most of the rasins and are fine afterwards. As others have said, he should be fine as long as his poos are normal and he continues to act himself.

Okay we need to stop brushing off eating chocolate as something that is okay.
It's not.
Just because some of you lucked out does not mean the next rabbit will.
The quality of the chocolate involved plays a huge roll in what happens.

Have a read of this. Yes its about dogs but its the same concept.
https://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/nutrition-feeding/is-chocolate-bad-for-dogs
When my rabbit died after overeating yogurt drops, she showed no signs of being sick 10 hours later. Eighteen hours later, I found her dead in her cage, and there was poop everywhere. It looked like her guts exploded. If I had it to do over again, I would have given her mineral oil as soon as I found out what she ate. I don't know if it would have worked, but I would not be sitting here regretting that I just let it go thinking that she would be fine.

Thx for what everyone said to help me I've got home now and he's his usual energetic self again so happy he's OK especially cuz it's his birthday today

Latest posts

Back