Help - my bunny stinks terribly after his neuter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumiTheBunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got my 6 month old Holland Lop, Rumi, neutered this past Valentine's Day. Overall, he seems to be recovering fine. Nothing worrisome about his behavior (he does seem a tad more hyper/a bit pissy, but that's most likely because I haven't been letting him hop around quite as much these first few days as he recovers), eating fine, poops look A-OK...

I was prepared for the hormone surge people have discussed on these forums in the form of some naughty behavior, but the only point of interest is that he suddenly REEKS. Rumi's fur reeks, his litter box reeks..and it's all the same smell. It's worth noting his head and his incision don't smell like...whatever this is. Just his back, and his litter box. And the air in general.

The only thing that's changed since his neuter is that I've been giving him dill daily since the surgery (I'd read that it entices rabbits in recovery, who can be finicky eaters). Surely this can't be the cause? I'm guessing it's somehow due to the hormones...but can they surge so soon/manifest this way?

Since I keep Rumi in my bedroom, this situation is pretty problematic. I actually have been gagging when I clean his litter box, and a thorough hosing/vinegar cleanse to his hutch didn't help.

What could be causing this and how do I fix it? Is this a health issue I should be concerned about, or some kind of hormonal musk kind of thing? Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:
I've never had a buck smell worse after their neuter. Usually it's the other way around, they gradually begin to smell less 'bucky'. A bad smell would make me most concerned about the wound and infection. But if you are fairly certain that it's healing well and isn't infected, then my guess would be the diet changes causing it. I would try stopping the dill and any other recent diet changes you made that may be the cause, and see if that clears it up. It may take a while for the smell to dissipate from his fur. Another thing to consider is if he is getting any medications. I've never had it happen, but I suppose it's possible that they could be a cause too.

And like with anything, if you feel this is a health concern, it's best to mention it to your vet and see what they think.

Latest posts

Back