Help My bunny is sick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

Reaction score
So my bunny was an indoor/outdoor bunny. Predominantly indoor and now is 100% indoor since mid May. I noticed aeound that time he had a lump on his chest next to fur loss. The rabbit savvy vets near me didn't have any appt slots open for close to 2.5 months so I took him to a rabbit rescue for help. I honestly wasn't sure if the lump was a botfly. The guy at the sanctuary opened the mass with a scalpel looking blade and we didn't see a worm. He just lanced it once and did however pull out a shriveled piece of what looked like flesh not a fat worm. Nothing else came out besides some blood and the mass is hollow. We assumed the bunny had killed a bot larvae and it inclosed itself which caused a mass. He sent me home with antibiotics to help. Fast forward almost a month, my bunny is losing a lot of weight. I'm not sure if it is parasite related. That mass is still there as well and is still open and just hanging down. It literally touches the floor when he walks. The antibiotics seemed to help a little bit but didn't shrivel it away like the guy said it would. What should I do to try and help him? Should I purchase panacur? Should I get other antibiotics? I'm lost and don't want to lose the little guy if someone knows how to help. I'm attaching pictures of how this mass started to what it looks like now. It's warped slightly differently now but still large and not healed. Also attaching a picture of the hair loss on his side. Incase it's a symptom. He isn't scratching profusely and originally I assumed the fur loss was due to normal molting. It still hasn't grown back though and like I said earlier, I've been dealing with this mass since May. Please help!

Attachments

• 20220812_041705.jpg
    20220812_041705.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220812_041736.jpg
    20220812_041736.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220812_041752.jpg
    20220812_041752.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220812-041300_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-041300_Photos.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220812-041324_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-041324_Photos.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220812-041334_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-041334_Photos.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 0

Moonshadow

Reaction score
I think you need to get your bunny to a vet as soon as you can. This doesn’t sound like something that can just be treated at home especially your rabbit has lost a lot of weight and the wound hasn’t healed. If a regular exotics vet is booked too far out, if I were in your situation, I’d take him to an rabbit-savvy emergency vet.

Reaction score
I think you need to get your bunny to a vet as soon as you can. This doesn’t sound like something that can just be treated at home especially your rabbit has lost a lot of weight and the wound hasn’t healed. If a regular exotics vet is booked too far out, if I were in your situation, I’d take him to an rabbit-savvy emergency vet.
That's my concern. I did call around but the emergency vets near me and within an 100 mile radius dont specialize in exotics or had staff that knew much about rabbits. I do have an appt with an exotic vet about 1.5 hrs out, but it's still a few weeks away, and I did explain it's an emergency but that's when their dr will be back. And I'm noticing the weight loss more than before. I'm honestly worried so I'm turning to the internet. Maybe someone will know something that will make an improvement during this waiting game. Also, he is eating fairly normal and his poops look around their usual size so I'm not understanding why the weight loss. He's usually over 6-7 lbs and now closer to 5lbs so I can definitely see and feel the difference

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you're able to drive a distance, even a few hours away, you may need to do that to get to a knowledgeable rabbit vet that can help you sooner. That looks more like a possible tumor(possibly cancerous) to me. And with weight loss now occurring, it's something that needs to be looked into right away if at all possible.

Medirabbit: fibrosarcoma

Reaction score
If you're able to drive a distance, even a few hours away, you may need to do that to get to a knowledgeable rabbit vet that can help you sooner. That looks more like a possible tumor(possibly cancerous) to me. And with weight loss now occurring, it's something that needs to be looked into right away if at all possible.

Medirabbit: fibrosarcoma
That was one of the things I was worried about. I thought with the weight loss either cancer or internal parasites (I dont seem to see any worms near his behind or in his poops), and I don't know much about other types of parasites which was why I wasnt sure if he needed panacur. And because he is turning 4 now would be the time that a tumor could show up, so that could be a possibility. I've literally called vets close to 4 hours away. All either aren't rabbit savvy and don't feel comfortable working on a rabbit, or are on vacation or booked solid even for emergencies. I had called an emergency vet a little over a 2 hour drive, sent them pictures like they asked, and she said when bringing him in to "limit his food and water incase they needed an emergency surgery ". Bunnies don't vomit, so fasting was a HUGE RED FLAG that they don't know about him as an exotic. I guess it's just a waiting game until our current appt. A friend in California who breeds rabbits suggested this forum, incase someone knew anything. I'm just praying at this point it's something that waiting won't make worse.

Latest posts