Help! My bunny is pregnant, AGAIN!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rika

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Hope you’re doing well.

Long post ahead!

My 6 month old doe is pregnant with her 2nd litter in literally a month!
Our buck was neutered 15 March and we kept them separated for another 3 weeks after that, but somehow they obviously got together and she delivered 11 April.

Babies were doing well and so was mom but 24 April she started showing signs of mastitis suddenly and we got her to the vet for antibiotics and anti inflammatories. Babies were also taken to our original breeder for fostering and are doing well now.

Now, we didn’t expect the first litter as she didn’t have any symptoms or nesting, she just destroyed their litter boxes throwing everything out.

About a week ago I started suspecting another litter is coming as her mastitis was now all sorted, but her tummy is hard and you can feel little things inside her. She also pulled fur for about 2 days.
We gave her a nest box and tons of hay and confirmed that the buck is now sterile but we can’t take mama to the vet yet because she is pregnant the stress of a car trip is too big of a risk.

Today she completely destroyed their enclosure and started digging out all their hay… I can see her side of her tummy moving, like waves and twitches… is this normal? I saw it today for the first time
What should I expect? How can we more or less try telling how far she is?
Help?! We neutered the buck to avoid exactly this, we were planning to get her spayed end of May as well. I am NOT PREPARED…

Attachments

• A991678F-AE9B-4692-B936-E621034BA22A.jpeg
    A991678F-AE9B-4692-B936-E621034BA22A.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 0
  • AD51271D-FF29-403C-8B36-F64BA96C1294.jpeg
    AD51271D-FF29-403C-8B36-F64BA96C1294.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 560A7ACA-C7A8-4034-B749-FE9D042FC43B.jpeg
    560A7ACA-C7A8-4034-B749-FE9D042FC43B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6054.MOV
    2.2 MB
  • IMG_6162.MOV
    33.9 MB
I think males can still be fertile for 6 weeks post neutering!
Hope all goes well, I would leave mum to it. Back to back pregnancies will be hard on her though so make sure she is eating a quality hay based diet 👍

3 weeks normally should be sufficient, hormons can linger longer though and make things like bonding or litter" training" more difficult. Either it was a freak accident and really unlucky timing, or she has a false pregnancy. I was sure one of my does was pregnant a few weeks ago, even took her to the vet because she acted way off and it was day 38 already, but nope, she was just a little fat and crazy.

Anyway, no other way to be sure but to wait it out. My bet would be that she isn't pregnant, although it definitly still is a possibility, always act on the asumption that she is until day 40.

I think males can still be fertile for 6 weeks post neutering!
Hope all goes well, I would leave mum to it. Back to back pregnancies will be hard on her though so make sure she is eating a quality hay based diet 👍
Hello! It is nou 8:20 on a Sunday here and I just noticed her dewlap is suddenly HUGE compared to usual should I be worried? Also, I just cleaned up the cage today (not touching the boxes or nest) and she destroyed everything all over agai …

Attachments

• BA6F3F62-9C05-47FC-8E02-C9D0B7B38A6D.jpeg
    BA6F3F62-9C05-47FC-8E02-C9D0B7B38A6D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
3 weeks normally should be sufficient, hormons can linger longer though and make things like bonding or litter" training" more difficult. Either it was a freak accident and really unlucky timing, or she has a false pregnancy. I was sure one of my does was pregnant a few weeks ago, even took her to the vet because she acted way off and it was day 38 already, but nope, she was just a little fat and crazy.

Anyway, no other way to be sure but to wait it out. My bet would be that she isn't pregnant, although it definitly still is a possibility, always act on the asumption that she is until day 40.
Her dewlap is very suddenly very big should I be worried?
It’s not usually that big and she’s not overweight 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• EA01B96B-E58F-4E17-B688-D5C4049A80E5.jpeg
    EA01B96B-E58F-4E17-B688-D5C4049A80E5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Afaik, dewlap size is influenced by hormones and genetics, some does get big ones, others not. Anyway, I'm not aware that dewlap size is connected to anything worrisome.

Latest posts

Back