Help! My Bunny accidentally ate Rat poison!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhitwRoastedMellUwU

Reaction score
So it happened early today before lunch. The door to the dining room was open because my grandmother forgot to close it and the dining room is connected to the kitchen area where the rat poison is placed to the ground, once my grandma saw my bunny, she quickly called for me, I started catching him and do my best to keep him away from the poison but unfortunately I was too late but good thing he only ate a little but I was still worried since it is a rat poison, I am not sure what kind of rat poison my grandma put but I'm worried sick, I know all of you will reccomend me going to the vet ASAP but unfortunately there are no savy vet clinics, clinic that can handle rabbits, or even animal hospital. We only have one vet clinic here, I tried contacting them through messenger but they can only handle cats and dogs and does not specialize in exotic animals they said. I kept on inspecting him for now if there is some strange behavior, I also tried searching the internet for symptoms and maybe he can show some signs that the poison is taking effects but he showed none of them for now. What should I do?

What kind of rat poison, read the bag, google the active ingredients. This is a medical emergency. Normally in dogs or cats vomiting would be induced, but since rabbits can't vomit another option will be needed. Since you cannot go to a vet you will need to deactivate the rat poison yourself. Off the top of my head, the best option here should be forced feeding activated charcoal. It should be available at a pharmacy, grocery, or drugstore. If it's not you may have to DIY it.

Given that this is a medical emergency if you have to DIY it, make a slurry of charcoal and water then force feed. While activated is better, regular charcoal is better than nothing.

https://www.petmd.com/rabbit/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_rb_rat_poisoning

Thanm
What kind of rat poison, read the bag, google the active ingredients. This is a medical emergency. Normally in dogs or cats vomiting would be induced, but since rabbits can't vomit another option will be needed. Since you cannot go to a vet you will need to deactivate the rat poison yourself. Off the top of my head, the best option here should be forced feeding activated charcoal. It should be available at a pharmacy, grocery, or drugstore. If it's not you may have to DIY it.

Given that this is a medical emergency if you have to DIY it, make a slurry of charcoal and water then force feed. While activated is better, regular charcoal is better than nothing.

https://www.petmd.com/rabbit/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_rb_rat_poisoning
Thank you very much for the quick response I did search in petmd about my rabbit situation. I will do it right away

Good luck, and as a note, you need to administer the charcoal as quickly as possible. Rat poison is nasty stuff and the longer it has to affect the system, the worse chances you have of being able to turn this around.

As a slight side note, you may want to buy or make some activated charcoal to have lying around in case this happens again, or for a human medical emergency. The stuff is a literal life saver, although I've heard it is disgusting to have to consume

Charcoal comes from burned hardwoods, coal does not. Charcoal is what you need

It's better than nothing, although do some research on dosing. Buy it if that's what's available

The recommended dose of activated charcoal for all species of animals is 1-3 gm/kg body weight. Repeated doses of activated charcoal every 4-8 hours at half the original dose may be indicated when enterohepatic recirculation occurs.

Activated charcoal can be given orally with a large syringe or with a stomach tube.

Latest posts

Back