Help! Mushrooms growing out of potty!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellapsyd

Reaction score
outside of Chicago- for now, Illinois, USA
We went on vacation and left the care of our rabbit in the hands of his sister- she did well,but never changed a potty. So for 3-4 weeks the booda dome potty was unchanged. I get back today and find mushrooms growing in it and some large stalk thing in the middle! I'm in a full blown panic here! WIll Bella be ok???? SHe is acting normal however. I have no way of knowing how long the fungi have been growing in there and if she went in there with it or not.

The potty is one of those cat ones with a dome lid- it's her outside potty. Darker environment.

She should be Ok as everyone has already told you.

I once did sq injections 3 times per week as a petsitter for a cat.

The people were home but they just didn't feel comfortable doing it.

The cat box was in the basement and the first time I went down there was mold growing on the cat feces. It was so gross and disgusting that I covered my mouth and nose with something while I cleaned it..the worst thing I ever encountered.
The cat was fine as she had been pooping next to the box. LOL

lol- by outside I meant outside her "house", but still inside MY house- which freaked me out all the more!!! She is all clean now and happily sitting in it eating her hay, so I guess I can calm down. Thanks for everyone's support in my moments of utter panic for my baby!

Ew that is gross. Sounds like maybe those cat people should not have had pets perhaps? Lucky that it was only mold inside the cat box!

I made the mistake of watering my indoor shade plants at night last week. A couple days ago I found mushrooms and mildew in the pots, yuck. I think it is pretty harmless, I'd only worry if your bun had eaten quite a bit of the mushrooms bellapsyd.

angieluv wrote:
She should be Ok as everyone has already told you.

I once did sq injections 3 times per week as a petsitter for a cat.

The people were home but they just didn't feel comfortable doing it.

The cat box was in the basement and the first time I went down there was mold growing on the cat feces. It was so gross and disgusting that I covered my mouth and nose with something while I cleaned it..the worst thing I ever encountered.
The cat was fine as she had been pooping next to the box. LOL

I have 4 new-to-me litterboxes soaking on my back deck right now.

Each has been "well used" but they are all perfectly serviceable.

For the first cleaning I used vinegar/baking soda. I let that sit in the sun for quite some time and then I scrubbed with a (bunny use only) toilet brush.

I rinsed them out and put bleach water in them, let them soak and then scrubbed and rinsed them out.

They're currently sitting on the deck with plain water in them. Even though the urine etched into the plastic some, things have cleaned up pretty nicely. They'll soak overnight and then tomorrow they'll sun dry providing it doesn't rain.

Latest posts

Back