Help! Move nest box?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I’m new to rabbits and my rescue came to me pregnant. Luckily I figured that out quickly and prepared for babies. HOWEVER, I made a rookie mistake and now I’m trying to figure out how to rectify it. Ok, so mamas hutch is in my room surrounded by a large play pen, so she can leave her hutch as she pleases. I thought it would be a good idea to put her nesting box in the cubby hole as it’s enclosed and safe. Well I didnt consider the fact that it’s on the second level and I’ve run into the problem that when mom leaves the nest after nursing, some eager babies hold their latch and get taken out of the nest. I’m scared they will fall to the lower level and when they start leaving the nest, they most certainly are at risk of falling to the lower level until they learn how the ramp works. SO, do I relocate the nest? Mom has been great and is feeding her 8 kits really well and is more attentive than I thought she would be. But will moving the nest to the lower level throw mama off? Please help, I’m very worried and feel bad that I didn’t consider all this beforehand.

In addition to moving the nest to a lower level, to prevent the hungry lil babies from holding on and falling out, you could make a ledge on the edge of the nest box (if possible) to prevent them falling out and getting too cold.

Latest posts

Back