Help! mother not feeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawsome_Pets

Reaction score
My rabbit gave birth to 6 babies on wednesday night, she hasnt been feeding them so I have been trying to hand feed them. its really difficult to do with a syringe and im probably doing more harm than good. Is there anybody who knows how I can get my rabbit to feed them? I know she has some milk because 3 of them managed to get a feed the other night. Any suggestions welcome!

Also thought of using a teat/nipple but even the kitten sized ones are too big for their tiny mouths and i know i need to invest in a probiotic. Id much rather her milk!

KMR milk supplement not the hartz stuff, though i assume vet solutions pro biolac would work as well, not sure what you can get your hands on in NZ, and an eyedropper. Never hand fed rabbits, but I love the VS kitten pro biolac and have used it for many other species.

If you run into problems doing it that way you can try laying a towel across your lap/stomach, putting the babies on it and then putting the mom on you (over them). We just recently had to force feed one this way. We held the mom's head/ear base so she didn't jerk and accidentally step on the baby. Since we had her at a slight angle there was room for thebabyto move around under her, and we could see how the baby was doing, too.

If you havent already - you can flip the mum on her back and put the babies on her tummy to feed.

Hehe Hi DR :)

I am happy to report they all got feed by mum this last night! yay!
I came home and she was just sitting there, I put one baby under her and she let it feed and cleaned it etc so I added another and another until all 6 were feeding and bathing! im so happy!

im just praying this isn't a one-off thing and that she keeps it going!

What I did was took the nesting box out and made the mother feed them, I put also pellets in the box with her so she can eat too. I just put her in the box and wouldnt let her jump out. She had to feed the babies or they would have starved!

Latest posts

Back