HELP!! Missing bunny. edit: (found!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2w

Reaction score
I'm new to the bunny world.. my son got his first baby rabbit today! We had it in a fenced area, I turned my back on the darn thing for at least 2 mins.. and it's GONE! what the heck?? We searched every where! Literally everywhere!! What's the chances of the bunny showing back up?? We do live near the woods. We searched and searched! I'm praying "donut" shows back up in the morning!!

I'm sorry that happened.
Keep looking, most likely he isn't far but underneith or behind something. Rabbits aren't long distance runners, normally they sprint to the next cover and hide there. They are very good at that, Patience. Have someone sit and watch the area around dusk and dawn (times when rabbits are most active)

Being new to this place, I fear the chances of him coming back are not great, this place isn't any more familiar to him than any other, would be different if he had been there for a month or two. But open up the fence, and put his food there, If he's used to pellets make noises he might be used to, like stirring the pellets in the bowl ore shaking the box, then sit back and watch, or move the search farther out. .
A motion detector, wildlife camera or box trap are very useful items for catching escaped rabbits. he might come back because of the human presence, but not while you are around activly searching.
It might be worth a try to start the search some way out and close in with as many people you can muster.

Keep looking, if you see him do not scare him, stay calm, ignore him, don't try to catch him in the open at first sight without preparing, if it fails at the first attempt he'll be nervous, catching a nervous rabbit is dufficult. Try to herd him into a corner (not easy!), or into a weir made from fence, or better put a fence around his position before catching him.

Rabbits up to 3lbs can get through normal 2" chain link fence, but it can slow them down, or they don't try if someone is outdside. Provide a hiding spot like a cardboard box with multible entrance holes, or just a big board elevated half a foot or so, something to hide under.

Good luck.

Last edited:
UPDATE!!!

I had my alarm set for 5:30 this morning, I got up and walked the whole way around the house, and checked each spot that I laid some timothy hay at.. no signs.. until I saw her in my garden!!! YAY!!! I can't belive we found her! Catching her was a chore!! But her pen is now 100% bunny proof!!

The lady we got her off said she's a "flop" because of her floppy ears.. is that a breed? Or maybe I just misunderstood her and it's actually a "lop" ?? Haha

Happy you got her back--bunnies are really great at getting out of "secure" areas. We have had 3 rescues that could climb up a wire fence like a spider on steroids and get out--4 foot wire fencing was not "proof" to them--one was a Netherland, one a mid size mix and Ted was a 10 pound lop--if there was no top, they were out and roaming.

Happy you found her, most stories like this don't end the best. Mine is an indoor/outdoor bun so i know your struggle. Mine recently escaped my outdoor playpen too and I had to add wood as she was digging which raised the cage door that opens enough that she could crawl under it, enough that i didn't even notice it. This is my set up, granted I have a cage, toys, etc this is it just empty when I just set it up. Nothing can attack her from above since it's enclosed and it's locked down tight(until she raised the gate that opens with dirt lol.
Hope everything goes great from here on, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to ask, there are some really experienced members here.
10 x 10 cage rabbit.jpg

I have a different approach to this topic than anyone else, I think. My rabbits learn at about 3 weeks to leave the hutch, and return. They are free raom in the garden during daytime hours, and I can just open the fence and let them out on the meadow and wood when I'm around (mostly to keep them from raiding the neighbours vegetable plot). No problem to get them home in the evening.
Well, it can be trying sometimes, when the kits hit puberty and get pigheaded. I have lots of practice finding them, nagging them back home, or if they insist on it tire them out until they give in and accept that's it 's me telling what to do. Involves a lot running through steep woods :D. I very, very rarely catch them, that's really a last resort.
Most times I just wait for them to come back, they do eventually. The way they are trained more reliable than cats or dogs.

Happy you found her, most stories like this don't end the best. Mine is an indoor/outdoor bun so i know your struggle. Mine recently escaped my outdoor playpen too and I had to add wood as she was digging which raised the cage door that opens enough that she could crawl under it, enough that i didn't even notice it. This is my set up, granted I have a cage, toys, etc this is it just empty when I just set it up. Nothing can attack her from above since it's enclosed and it's locked down tight(until she raised the gate that opens with dirt lol.
Hope everything goes great from here on, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to ask, there are some really experienced members here.
View attachment 61304
We have something similar 😁😁 here is her pen. She absolutely loves it, she runs all around like a wild child! Haha. She also has a little play area in the grass area. This cage had our ducks in it but unfortunately the Amish's dog had them for dinner 😔

Attachments

• 20220625_202636.jpg
    20220625_202636.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220625_202636.jpg
    20220625_202636.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 3
We have something similar 😁😁 here is her pen. She absolutely loves it, she runs all around like a wild child! Haha. She also has a little play area in the grass area. This cage had our ducks in it but unfortunately the Amish's dog had them for dinner 😔
Glad to here she is having a great time, hopefully your son is too :) Glad to hear she also has a play area giving her more room. Sounds like you are trying your best to do everything right. I understand your dog issues. When I found and rescued my rabbit, I had 3 dogs at the time( A low content hybrid, GSD, and Cane Corso(a type of mastiff) mixed with a rottweiler) and they all showed interest, but 2 of the 3 stopped, but my GSD still wants to get her to this day lol. My rabbit must have been raised around dogs as she will chase my GSD and follow her as she isn't scared of her LOL
This was the first night we were building her pen(didnt even have the roof yet, we were letting her get a feel for it) and she just wanted to play with my dog, but my GSD had other ideas. She still will do this. No barking but yeah, it's not a game of chase to her, but to my bun, it's all fun and games.

They do have their good times though too haha My GSD is slowly getting better.
bunny and roxy sitting next to each other.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back