Help me!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydene

Reaction score
Hi I’m jaydene and I have a rabbit called buddy...I’m not sure if it’s a big deal or not but he has scabs on both of his back feet And where the scabs are there is no hair..We can’t afford to go to the vets and I’m not sure what to do!! I have been putting Sudocreme on them but i don’t think it’s working!! Please help..I’m in the uk and in Nottingham if there is anything that is cheap and will help please let me know!

Hi I’m jaydene and I have a rabbit called buddy...I’m not sure if it’s a big deal or not but he has scabs on both of his back feet And where the scabs are there is no hair..We can’t afford to go to the vets and I’m not sure what to do!! I have been putting Sudocreme on them but i don’t think it’s working!! Please help..I’m in the uk and in Nottingham if there is anything that is cheap and will help please let me know!
Well it's not a problem until you see your bunny involved in eating up or sniffing his back feet alot... It's quite normal.. Don't worry ☺

Change the flooring to something really soft and keep it clean. It’s common thing that bunnies get sore hooks, even my own bunnies have lost fur a bit and have a bit of red skin.

But they are getting more fur growing on their paws again. Often the reason for sore hocks is becaeuse the flooring is to hard for their paws.

puzzle mats are quite good to use as a flooring, it will take a few months to heal.

If you have a coperative bunny, you can buy baby socks. Cut out for the foot by making a small hole and use medical tape or adhesive bandage to keep it at it’s place. Socks that fit bunnies are often those for newborns or one month old infant.

If it’s open wounds that are really red and look inflammed, you should take your bunny to a vet.

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/sore-hocks.html

Well it's not a problem until you see your bunny involved in eating up or sniffing his back feet alot... It's quite normal.. Don't worry ☺
I have a picture if you would like to see? I just havnt heard of it before so I am stressing out hahah

Share a picture, sure! Pretty sure that you can just find a page on reputable uk rabbit vets and mail/call them. They should be able to help you with advice without charging you anything!

View attachment 49522Here is the picture of his feet

That’s really bad, make sure to wash the feet and keep his area clean. If he’s free roaming make a restricted area where you can easily keep it clean and have really soft flooring/bedding. You can use a foam mat and stack blankets up on it.

I would truly recommend taking your bunny to a vet and get the feet treated. But I don’t know any good cheap vets in uk. Maybe @Apollo’s Slave can recommend vets in uk for you ☺️

What kind of bedding/ flooring do your bunny spend most his time on?

That's a severe case of sore hocks. My vet suggested to use currogated cardboard as flooring, it dampens the steps somewhat and is not abrasive. Covered the whole house in that and rugs, it did help. He also gave some skin care ointment. And I fenced off the asphalt areas outside.

Some carpets, like some needle felt carpets can be abrasive.

That’s really bad, make sure to wash the feet and keep his area clean. If he’s free roaming make a restricted area where you can easily keep it clean and have really soft flooring/bedding. You can use a foam mat and stack blankets up on it.

I would truly recommend taking your bunny to a vet and get the feet treated. But I don’t know any good cheap vets in uk. Maybe @Apollo’s Slave can recommend vets in uk for you ☺

What kind of bedding/ flooring do your bunny spend most his time on?
He sleeps and mostly stands on a mixture of straw and hay

That's a severe case of sore hocks. My vet suggested to use currogated cardboard as flooring, it dampens the steps somewhat and is not abrasive. Covered the whole house in that and rugs, it did help. He also gave some skin care ointment. And I fenced off the asphalt areas outside.

Some carpets, like some needle felt carpets can be abrasive.
But I thought sore hocks were lumps? Plus I can’t afford to take him to the vets

Judging from your other thread three months ago this doesn't look like sore hocks, you should really see a vet so they can run some tests it could be skin condition can be allergy or fungus or something else, and you need to diagnose it properly before putting any treatment on it, because you can make things even worse. Now people will be suggesting treatments for sore hocks but your old photo clearly shows it's something else

Now, can you tell us what were you using on it over past three months and how it progressed.

Also, what you use for cleaning? Is your rabbit indoor or outdoor? Is he toilet trained? What litter do you use? Can you post some photo of his setup and where he lives/his area

Here's your old thread from April for reference and photo of how it looked then. Fur loss wasn't where the sore hocks could appear

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/i-don’t-know-what-to-do-😬.97777/
image-jpg.46498

Last edited:
Judging from your other thread three months ago this doesn't look like sore hocks, you should really see a vet so they can run some tests it could be skin condition can be allergy or fungus or something else, and you need to diagnose it properly before putting any treatment on it, because you can make things even worse. Now people will be suggesting treatments for sore hocks but your old photo clearly shows it's something else

Now, can you tell us what were you using on it over past three months and how it progressed.

Also, what you use for cleaning? Is your rabbit indoor or outdoor? Is he toilet trained? What litter do you use? Can you post some photo of his setup and where he lives/his area

Here's your old thread from April for reference and photo of how it looked then. Fur loss wasn't where the sore hocks could appear

image-jpg.46498
I shall do tomorrow morning what I do is I put loads of sawdust on half the cage and the other half I have tonnes of hay and straw x (with some sawdust)

I shall do tomorrow morning what I do is I put loads of sawdust on half the cage and the other half I have tonnes of hay and straw x (with some sawdust) also, I have just been putting sudocreme on it...I did stop for a while though

I shall do tomorrow morning what I do is I put loads of sawdust on half the cage and the other half I have tonnes of hay and straw x (with some sawdust)
The sawdust may be part of your problem... essentially sawdust should not be used with bunnies. It can cause respiratory damage, and a host of other medical issues. Additionally (speaking as someone who has stored and kept lots of the stuff for horses in the past) it can easily harbor splinters that damage the feet and mold/fungi, which is bad news. It also is often sprayed with chemicals for preservation that could account for some of the irritation on your rabbit's feet, although you really do need to consult a vet, as it appears that your rabbit has a very severe and painful condition.

That's a bad case of sore hocks covering up the floor with correlated cardboard will help but I think you should also put some rabbit safe ointment so that it heals and doesn't get worse I hope your bunny gets better

The sawdust may be part of your problem... essentially sawdust should not be used with bunnies. It can cause respiratory damage, and a host of other medical issues. Additionally (speaking as someone who has stored and kept lots of the stuff for horses in the past) it can easily harbor splinters that damage the feet and mold/fungi, which is bad news. It also is often sprayed with chemicals for preservation that could account for some of the irritation on your rabbit's feet, although you really do need to consult a vet, as it appears that your rabbit has a very severe and painful condition.
Yes thank you for saying that I didn't think of that Mac189 👍 Instead of using sawdust you could layer 100% whit e cotton towel that should be safe if your rabbit happens to eat it

But I thought sore hocks were lumps? Plus I can’t afford to take him to the vets
You could be able to get a payment plan from your vet, or animal charities such as blue cross and RSPCA, may be able to help also. I reccomend MeciVet, as they’re very reliable, in my area at least but this list may be helpful.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-welfare-association-fund/our-work/rabbit-friendly-vets/
His hocks looks really bad and I think it would be way better to get them checked by a vet. Your vet may prescribe antibiotic ointments for him but I’m not sure

this could also be helpful? Six Places To Get Financial Help With Vet Bills | Vets Now

image-jpg.46498

You need to go to a rabbit vet. Find one here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List Sell something, borrow, beg, do whatever you have to do but if your pet needs veterinary care it is your responsibility to make sure they get it.

Latest posts

Back