HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys. i have come across a problem. i got gizmoa playpen and want to upgrade her from being in her cage, to being on the playpen all the time. the only problem is, she likes to chew the carpet. i am renting a house so i cannot have her wrecking the carpet. i need ideas of how to make a cover for the bottom of the playpen that is waterproof, and chewproof/digproof. i looked at petsmart but the cover they sold there was too small for the pen. this is really an urgent problem because she is outgrowing her cage. i tryed using fleece but she pulls the carpet up through it. tarps scare her. i dont know what to do!

Nancy used to take one of our bunnies everyday to school and used a playpen. I took a piece of plywood and covered with carpet and tiles we got for free at a flooring store. Protected the carpet underneath and could be taken outside to brush it off.

thats the problem...i guess is didnt specify but gizmo is chewing on carpet. i know it is extremely bad for rabbits since they cant vomit so i want something that is not carpet to use under the playpen. i am going out and buying a few sheets of coroplast tomrorrow to see if that will help. thanks for all your suggestions, i really appreciate it

I know some people have used an office chair mat which may be useful in your situation, depending on how big your playpen is.

Vinyl rollout flooring from Lowes or Home Depot. You can get remnants which are 8' x 12' for around $45 or a bit smaller for less. They are kind of thin though, but should be ok. Another idea I had, but have yet to test is getting stick tiles and mounting them to 2'x 2' think plywood and tapping the resulting big tiles together. For more stability use 4' x 4' sections, just harder to move. Should be water proof and dig proof, but I would still toss down painters plastic first.

I am remodeling my pen right now and am searching for more flooring options. I currently have two pieces of 2' x 4' hardboard (like really solid cardboard) covered in sticky-backed linoleum tiles and I over lap them a few inches to give her an area that is 4' x 4' and there is also an old 4' x 2' x 5" cage pan at one end that contains the litter box, hay and grassmats. I usually fold a fleece blanket over half of the linoleum. She eventually digs holes all over so I throw them away after a few uses.

I am looking into PVC office chair mats, bamboo roll-up chair mats, rubber-backed commercial rugs (like that you'd see at a school's entrance). I think I may stick with my linoleum tiles and make a 3rd and get a few rubber-backed bathroom mats for traction/binky areas. My bun doesn't chew carpet though... that is tough for you!

There are some great sisal rugs that may work but they are slightly pricey and could possibly end up getting eaten. Look into some natural fiber rugs like that or jute. If they don't have a waterproof backing get a vinyl flooring roll to lay under it, ooooor even cheaper/flimsier--a shower curtain liner to lay under the rug.

You can purchase a 5 x 8 area carpet from Walmart for $20. It is low-pile commercial grade. If you are concerned about pee soaking through to your carpet, you can put either a tarp or a plastic shower curtain underneath it. The Walmart rugs are cheap enough that they can be replaced every few months if necessary.

Latest posts

Back