HELP ME PLEASE! Vaccines, revolution and penicillin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

mum hoping someone can please help me. On Wednesday,my three bunnies went to the vet, and got their cylap vaccine. Yesterday (Thursday) I gave them all a dose of puppy and kitten revolution.

when we went to the vet, one of my bunnies had red and slightly mucky ears (he’s a lop) so he’s been put on penicillin injections, and metacam. His first injection was Wednesday at the vet, and I’m supposed to give him his second one tonight (Friday)

I’ve come up to their house now, to get my bunny to bring him inside to give him his next injection, and have noticed a bald spot on the back of his neck in between his shoulder blades. It looks quite red. It also looks like it has to little lines down It. I’m panicking now, because I’m worried that maybe I shouldn’t give him his penicillin injection tonight.
Ill attach a photo of the bald spot. Is it likely to be from the vaccine, or from the revolution? He’s had both before and had no reaction so I’m quite worried.
He seems to be acting totally normal otherwuse.
Someone please help me, I’m really really panicking.

Here are the photos. From three different angles

Attachments

• 0DEBCD3A-D5E2-4D34-9673-61FD2A96F188.jpeg
    0DEBCD3A-D5E2-4D34-9673-61FD2A96F188.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4EE840E9-8594-459C-8E4B-E882B5848AE2.jpeg
    4EE840E9-8594-459C-8E4B-E882B5848AE2.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3CB96036-D09A-422F-B498-6611DFAA1410.jpeg
    3CB96036-D09A-422F-B498-6611DFAA1410.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2
Slight possibility the lines have to do with the skin being pinched and tented to give the injection. Also, sometimes they can get a sterile abscess from certain injections causing irritation to the tissue. Penicillin and the vaccine injections can both cause this to occur. Maybe this could be the start of that. If so, these look a bit nasty, but aren't actually an infection and usually heal back up without issue. I think a reaction to the Revolution would look different than that.

(photos of a sterile abscess)
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm
If you're worried, I don't know that delaying the injection for a day is going to be that harmful. Then you can talk to your vet tomorrow. If the penicillin is for a possible ear infection, maybe ask your vet to do an oral antibiotic like baytril, septrin, or azithromycin(can pose a slight risk of causing digestive upset in some rabbits), which may be less worrying for you. Though be aware that most rabbits detest the taste of baytril. If your rabbit does have an ear infection, just make sure the course of antibiotics is long enough. Usually for rabbits a minimum of 4 weeks is needed, also depending on the antibiotic used.

Medirabbit: ear infection clinical signs and treatment

Another possibility if your rabbits all live together, is this from dominance humping and another rabbit grabbing hold there with the teeth, pinching the skin and ripping the fur out. This can happen with bonded rabbits, after the strange smell and stress of a vet office. It's important to monitor them afterwards, to make sure no serious scuffles break out.

Slight possibility the lines have to do with the skin being pinched and tented to give the injection. Also, sometimes they can get a sterile abscess from certain injections causing irritation to the tissue. Penicillin and the vaccine injections can both cause this to occur. Maybe this could be the start of that. If so, these look a bit nasty, but aren't actually an infection and usually heal back up without issue. I think a reaction to the Revolution would look different than that.

(photos of a sterile abscess)
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm
If you're worried, I don't know that delaying the injection for a day is going to be that harmful. Then you can talk to your vet tomorrow. If the penicillin is for a possible ear infection, maybe ask your vet to do an oral antibiotic like baytril, septrin, or azithromycin(can pose a slight risk of causing digestive upset in some rabbits), which may be less worrying for you. Though be aware that most rabbits detest the taste of baytril. If your rabbit does have an ear infection, just make sure the course of antibiotics is long enough. Usually for rabbits a minimum of 4 weeks is needed, also depending on the antibiotic used.

Medirabbit: ear infection clinical signs and treatment

Another possibility if your rabbits all live together, is this from dominance humping and another rabbit grabbing hold there with the teeth, pinching the skin and ripping the fur out. This can happen with bonded rabbits, after the strange smell and stress of a vet office. It's important to monitor them afterwards, to make sure no serious scuffles break out.
Thank you so much for replying @JBun

The vaccine was administered in the location that this bald spot is, but the revolution was also applied at the same position the next night. The Penicillin was administered in a different location. He’s had both the vaccine and the revolution before, but never have I seen baldness or anything like this. Are sterile abscesses the same as regular rabbit abscesses?? Our first two bunnies were both male and fought (we were very inexperienced) A bite mark on one turned into an abscess. The bunny had to be put down as the vet misdiagnosed him (we have a new vet now) Because of that, the thought of an abscess really scares me

I did give him his next penicillin injection tonight, he jumped when it went in a little bit, but he ate a treat afterwards. Ideally the vet would be able to do it each day, but the vet is 1.5 hours away, so it’s not the most practical to go each time he needs it. The penicillin is for an ear infection. He is on the injections for 3 weeks, and then we will return to the vet on the 27th where She will reassess my bunny. He is also taking metacam for the first 10 days too.

I keep worrying that I might like, hit his spinal cord or a vein or something. If you have any tips for injecting I would appreciate it. The vet did show me, but I still worry. Is it better to inject it in the same spot each time?

My three bunnies do live together, but they all went to the vet together, in the same carrier. I sat up with them tonight for a while, and the two girls he is bonded with kept cleaning him. They seemed happy like they normally are (touch wood) the girls actually kept cleaning the bald spot, so I wonder if maybe they’re making it look redder

thank you so much again for responding

No, they aren't the same. An abscess is a pus filled pocket due to a bacterial infection. A sterile abscess isn't an infection at all. It's a hypersensitivity and reaction of the skin tissue, to an irritant like the injected material, causing dead and inflammatory tissue, which results in a sore into the skin layer. It will usually heal right up in a few weeks, without antibiotics or other medications.

When giving injections, it's better to change spots, and to the side of the spine, not directly over it. Here's some info on giving injections in these links. There are also multiple vet videos on youtube, showing how to give injections. Though the best thing if you are feeling unsure, is to contact your vet for any clarification and instructions.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Medicating_your_rabbit
Medirabbit: sub q injections

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/giving-sub-q-injections.23258/
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/having-trouble-giving-penicillin-injections-to-bunny.62218/
With your other rabbits grooming him, it's really important after giving the injections, to make sure there is no leakage of the penicillin left on the fur, as it could cause serious gut upset if ingested.

Have he's ever had the vaccine and revolution give with in this time frame before? Do your other rabbits have anything going on with them?

Latest posts

Back