Help me help pet shop rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently started working in a large pet store chain, and am doing my best to ensure the animals get the best care possible through educating other staff on nutrition and care, but I've come up against a brick wall regarding one particular aspect and need some expert advice to help me fight my case.

In the store they are feeding all rabbits guinea pig pellets. They say that it makes no difference and does no harm. I beg to differ and feel it is one of the factors causing dirty bottoms in some rabbits.

Can any of you give me some facts, and I mean proven facts I can present to my boss to argue against this practice and get our bunnies on rabbit food.

Thank you!

High protein can lead to soft droppings and poor coat/flesh condition. Many cavy pellets are 18-20% protein. 14-15 percent is optimal for a rabbit maintenance diet.

Some of the cavy pellets may also be a little too high in fat.

Pam

Thank you, thank you, thank you - I was really HOPING you would reply because I know you know your stuff.

I told them that we had some rabbits with dirty bums as a result of the guinea pig feed, but they insisted it's to do with the breeders and conditions before we get them.

I am working tomorrow and will take this evidence in to prove my point - straight to my manager, and hopefully he will listen to me.

The rabbits thank you too. :)

I need more advice as we have now lost 3 rabbits in a week at my pet store.
The second one I took to the vets myself - it was alert but had green diarrhea, a distended tummy and was sweating (or at least the nape of its neck was wet like sweat). I went to the vets in the hope of finding a way to stop this but he said the rabbit had coccidia (or something that sounds like it), that 9 out of 10 rabbits with this condition die a painful death and that he was putting the beautiful little bunny to sleep.

I cried my eyes out and he told me to get our manager to call him, isolate all bunnies from that breeder, and stop buying from the breeder. The problem is we don't know for sure that all the sick bunnies came from the same breeder.

The bun that was dead this morning had a dirty bum and was lethargic - his cage mate is more active but is going downhill.

I can't bear to lose any more rabbits so please is there anything I can do to help them, that the vet maybe isn't aware of?

I am looking into making a complaint about the guinea pig pellets being fed, as I'm sure this is adding to the stress on the bunnies systems.

:X:(

The reason I remain in the job is because I know while I am there they are getting care, along with most of my colleagues who genuinely care about the animals welfare, but just needed some educating about nutrition. They are as upset as I am at the recent deaths.

Hi there,

I don;t really have much advice, exceptlook in the health forum about the coccidia (or however it's spelt) and google it to learn anything and everything you can.

All the rabbits, probably, should be quarantined, which is a lot of work and cleaning, etc. And I guess buns are going to need hydrating etc. In fact, you might be better off asking this in the infirmary forum.

I also just wanted to say that you are doing a terrific job for these rabbits :) So very well done to you. Have you considered giving other members of staff this forum address and maybe even the manager? It couldn't hurt to do it if you haven't already.

Keep fighting their corner.

This probably doesn't help as much, but I remembered reading this a while ago... it's a cavy site that discourages them being housed with rabbits:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm
The first bullet talks about diet and how inappropriate rabbit food is for guinea pigs.

Thanks a lot guys.
My favorite rabbit went down with a dirty bum along with his cage mate, who died, and as I'm off work now for 4 days and adore him (he is a gorgeous lionhead), I've taken him from the shop to try and treat him at home - at least I can ensure he is getting rabbit food, clean water and loads of hay.

Cross your fingers for me and him, and I'll post a picture of him later (I say him but it might be a she - not sexed it yet)

He is a really friendly little guy, so I refuse to lose him.

Aw, you're so sweet, and going WAY above and beyond the call of duty.

I wish you luck with this little one.

Hang in there.

How could I not - look at this face:

100_1775.jpg

Isn't she?! :) Lovely natured little thing too - she used to come and greet me when I went to feed them in the mornings in work...hence I'm so fond of her. I sexed her, so she is now called coco chanel (although this may change - suggestions for fluffy bunny names welcome)

Ok - she is active and grinding her teeth when sitting down - seems the good grinding at present. She also did that flop over and roll on her back thing earlier which is hopefully meaning she feels secure here?

Earlier her tummy was gurgling and I could actually see it moving (like when we are pregnant and baby is kicking), so what does that mean? She is eating junior excel rabbit pellets, excel forage and herbage and drinking lots of fresh water. Should I be concerned about the moving tummy, or is it a sign her gut is moving?

Please move this to infirmary if a mod comes across it.

Many thanks for advice. I have pretty much made up my mind that if I pull her through this - she is staying with me. I couldn't bear to take her back.

Please, please make sure that you quarantine her properly from the rest of your buns, lots of washing, etc, changing the top layer of clothes, not any contact, or in close proximity, etc. You wouldn't want her to pass anything to your buns.

Don't worry - she is not near my other bunnies, and I'm not handling any of them without washing my hands first.

I honestly believe that this bunny is suffering from malnutrition and dehydration as looking at how fast her poops have firmed up and she has brightened up after being given good quality feed, hay and water is absolutely incredible.

Still early days but looking good.

How is this little girly doing now? She is so cute! You are doing a great job.:biggrin2: Which Pets shop are you working in? Pets at Home?

~~~~~
~Michaela, Maddie, Ebony, Pebble & Angel Bunny Berri~

Hi Michaela!

Yeah - I'm working in Pets at Home now. I'm honestly pretty frustrated at the policies I'm seeing but am hoping I can do some good and try to change things, like stop them housing guinea pigs and rabbits together. Why do they do that?? Arghhh

We are calling her Gizmo now and she is doing really well so far. Her poops are on and off between looking normal and then going runny again, but I think it's just because her food is changed again from guinea pig pellets to excel junior pellets.

She has a great appetite since last night and is eating lots of hay, and drinking plenty of water - I couldn't get her to drink out of the water bottle in work, so have given her a bowl here and she loves it.

There is no way after watching her improve so dramatically, and how happy she is here - binkying around and flopping over like a baby, that I could ever bring her back to the store, so I guess we have a new rabbit...

:p;)

ps - more pics later. We got some lovely ones of her today and her eyes are bright again, not dull anymore.

That's great news!! Yay, new bunny!! :bunnydance:I had a feeling when I saw her you wouldn't be giving her back.;)

Is it the Belfast branch? Maybe I'll see you there sometime! Though I usually go to Coleraine or Newtonabbey, because they are closer.

~~~~~
~Michaela, Maddie, Ebony, Pebble & Angel Bunny Berri~

Young rabbits are very sensitive to stress and diet changes. Ideally you should feed the same diet as the breeder does. If they're feeding the GP pellets that may be why they are being fed in store.

You can minimise the risk of stress and diet changes by feeding mainly hay for the first day.

On the same note, it's a good idea to inform customers what the rabbits are being fed on and encourage them to take home some of it so they can continue the same diet to.

If what the breeder is feeding isn't ideal then you can gradually change the food over to something you stock by mixing the pellets together. This should be done over at least a week though so it might not be pratical to do whilst in store.

I know all this Tamsin, but the issue was that I believed the guinea pig pellets were the problem, so getting her off them as fast as possible was my priority. It has worked beautifully too - the excel pellets are formulated to aid with weaning and are the best I've come across.

Her poops are back to normal, her coat is starting to grow back more healthy - I'm amazed at the difference in only 3 days, her energy levels and happiness levels are through the roof. She is racing around like a maniac doing laps, and binky's and generally proving my point about rabbit nutrition in our store. I shall be reporting my findings to my boss on Monday, and hoping I can change things for the benefit of the other rabbits.

she is a real character and has already managed to get on the sofa - something Moon, who is twice her size only managed after a year of contemplation! ;) She climbs all over us and has made herself right at home.

The only issue I have now is finding time for myself with so many rabbits in the house, but they are worth it!

tamsin wrote:
Young rabbits are very sensitive to stress and diet changes. Ideally you should feed the same diet as the breeder does. If they're feeding the GP pellets that may be why they are being fed in store.

You can minimise the risk of stress and diet changes by feeding mainly hay for the first day.

On the same note, it's a good idea to inform customers what the rabbits are being fed on and encourage them to take home some of it so they can continue the same diet to.

If what the breeder is feeding isn't ideal then you can gradually change the food over to something you stock by mixing the pellets together. This should be done over at least a week though so it might not be pratical to do whilst in store.

Latest posts

Back