Help Mao Mao

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busi

Reaction score
hey everyone, I need help with my 8 week old bunny Mao Mao I've never seen him poop he loves eating cabbage,carrots, strawberries and lettuce . I'm worried please help me

You bunny have a wrong diet for the stomach to work properally. A bunny diet should be 80% hay or some kind of grass, it can be fresh grass and a small part pellets but not necessary and leafy greens.

How long have you owned your bunny and do you see any dark small spots (it can be loose stoll or small like pepper corns).

It can be dangerous when a bunny aren’t having a good diet and not leaving any stolls. Because it can be that your are heading into a critical stage for your bunny.

Since when do you have the rabbit?

Those things you listed are all rather problematic if the rabbit isn't used to them from the start, I would stick to what he was fed for at least some weeks and then slowly introduce new things over the course of 1-2 weeks. I wouldn't introduce new stuff now, when they are weaned their guts are under stress anyway already, I would wait another month at least.

The problem is that rabbits need to grow the right gut bacteria to be able to digest new stuff, without the right bacteria the wrong ones can take over and produce lots of gas, among other problems,´and there is no or almost none fiber in the foods you listed - they need that.
Cabbage is one of those foods that need to be introduced slowly, starting with fingernail sized bits.

Carrots and strawberries are very high in sugar, as a fingernail sized treat once or twice a day ok when he's bigger, but not a staple food. Do not feed yummy stuff just because it's so cute.

Lettuce, if he was raised with it, isn't that problematic, but it doesn't have much nutrational value either.

Stick to whatever the rabbit is already used to, what his mom was fed, not all rabbits are equally delicate, but food is a serious matter with rabbits, espacially young ones.

If you don't know what he was fed and can't find it out it would be safest to feed hay for now, and introduce pellets slowly. Hay is safe and easy to digest.
Be sure he has access to water, they drink more from bowls, if not used to bottles it can take time to figure out how to use them.

Last edited:
hey everyone, I need help with my 8 week old bunny Mao Mao I've never seen him poop he loves eating cabbage,carrots, strawberries and lettuce . I'm worried please help me
Hi, how long is he with you? Where did you get him from, did you ask what was he fed?

Anyway, you need to get grass hay for him as his main food (80% of his daily food, big bunch sized about his size). As an addition you can feed rabbit pellets for baby rabbits (50 gram a day). He is still too young for cabbages and other stuff you feed him, also as said above carrots and strawberries are high on sugars and even adults get them very limited amount like one inch of a carrot or 1/2 of a strawberry once a week. If you will keep feeding him what you described he will get a bloat and can die. You better get him grass hay asap and stop feeding cabbages and sweets. If he was fed some lettuce in his previous home you can give him one leaf per day (not Iceberg lettuce), but best would be to avoid vegs for now until his pooping well again.

Can you post a pic of him and where he lives, what he eats etc?

I've just found a blog about pet rabbits in South Africa they mention Burgess excel pellets, so if they are available in your country you can feed him, choose ones for under 16 week rabbits.
Avoid grain, flakes and muesli type food.

https://shop.burgesspetcare.com/rabbit/food/Excel-Junior-and-Dwarf-Rabbit-Nuggets-with-Mint/15
Big bunch of hay in the morning and big bunch of hay in the evening and a handful of Burgess Junior pellets and unlimited water, that is his healthy diet. When he is 16 week old you can add a handful of green leaves (basil, cilantro/coriander, mint, dark lettuce not iceberg) in the morning. No carrots, no cabbages, no fruit until he is 4 months old.

Here's a link maybe you find more local information about pet rabbits in South Africa
https://pethabitat.co.za/BlogByCategoryTag/Page0/AllCategory/Rabbit Food South Africa

You bunny have a wrong diet for the stomach to work properally. A bunny diet should be 80% hay or some kind of grass, it can be fresh grass and a small part pellets but not necessary and leafy greens.

How long have you owned your bunny and do you see any dark small spots (it can be loose stoll or small like pepper corns).

It can be dangerous when a bunny aren’t having a good diet and not leaving any stolls. Because it can be that your are heading into a critical stage for your bunny.
Thank you so very much I'm really grateful

hello everyone id like to thank you for your helpful advice mao mao is leaving stools like he should im really grateful thank you

Latest posts

Back