Help! Litter training rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deedeek1

Reaction score
I got a rabbit for Christmas and I wanna hurry and litter train him so that he can run around outside of his cage. I recently learned that to help him learn I should put the litter box where he usually uses the bathroom at but... he usually poops by his food bowls and there’s not really a corner area where I can place it. Help!

A few things I have learned thru tons of reading, and having a new one to finish litter training as well.... Keep your litter box in whatever corner of the cage he seems to like, put his pellet crock/bowl right next to his litter pan(maybe between the pan and the cage wall) so he has to hop in to eat, or if its a hay rack/pellet feeder, hang it from the cage wall right above his box. When he does poop/pee outside of the litter box, pick it up with some tissue and put it in his box so he sees where its supposed to go. Along with any pee soaked paper. Don't expand his area much past his cage (they say a few days to few weeks) until he gets the gist of using it, and then you could let him out more frequently. Also adding another litter box or two around the area you let him out when hes not in his cage, for accidents and the like. I personally have only had mine 2 weeks and I let him out in my living room, and the first few days when id notice a dropping or two, id put him back into his x-pen and put the poop in his litter box. After a few days he got the hang of it and now when im home after work, or before work, he has a good 2-3 hours to run around before bedtime, and I gotta tell you it has been pretty easy!

I got a rabbit for Christmas and I wanna hurry and litter train him so that he can run around outside of his cage. I recently learned that to help him learn I should put the litter box where he usually uses the bathroom at but... he usually poops by his food bowls and there’s not really a corner area where I can place it. Help!

One important thing with litter training is to be sure the litter box is plenty large. The corner boxes are generally too small. The bigger the better. Rectangle shape is best because it gives them room to lounge (which is fine). You want them to like their litter box.

I have a page on my website with photos that details how to litter train. You can find it here.
Remember that you don't want to rush letting him run loose. By taking your time and giving him space slowly, it makes things go quicker in the long run. Much easier to do it right/correct from the start than to try to backtrack and correct bad habits bunny may form if he's given too much space too soon.

Do you know how old your rabbit is?

it took me about two weeks to litter box train Bunster! There are a lot of youtube videos on how to do it, mostly keep wiping up pee and sticking it into the box, and cleaning up the accident with a vinegar/water spray to get rid of the smell.

unfortunately i haven't had much luck with poops but your mileage may vary.. I have a friend who has a free roam rabbit who is not neutered and they don't have much trouble with poops, I don't get it

House rabbit society's website has a lot of advice too

Latest posts

Back