Help lethargic bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

button+banjo

Reaction score
We keep our bunnies button and Banjo on the front porch and when we came this morning around eleven to give them their morning lettuce and frozen ice jugs (it has been very humid and 90s every day), button would not take his lettuce. He let me pick him up which he never does. His brother is normal. He laid down next to his jug and was breathing rapidly. Ears not hot and not panting. He ate his feed last night. We immediately brought them inside and they have been inside for over an hour now. He is still not eating refusing, hay, critical care, feed, and lettuce which he loves. Sways a little when he moves. He also urinated and pooped (normal pellets) on the towel he was sitting on instead of using the litter box. Very worried. We called the vet. Should i force feed him critical care? Is this heat shock still? He is cool now and has an ice jug even though he is inside in the ac.

Update we are back from the vet. They gave him subq fluids (plus some for us to take home to give him later) and we are supposed to come back if he has not improved by tomorrow. I gave him gas drops and syringed a bit of critical care. He is still acting lethargic and swaying when he hops. He will not hop unless you pick him up and move him. Lets you pick him up It is very scary. Temp was 99.8 at vet. He ate a tiny piece of romaine when we got back. Still doing the slow motion eating and stopping mid chew. Help! Should i give him pain meds? The vet also said that he has a heart murmur. Anyone have any advice?

Did the vet give you pain medication? If so, give him that. If not, I would bring him back to the vet for some as soon as you can.

Did the vet give you pain medication? If so, give him that. If not, I would bring him back to the vet for some as soon as you can.
No. I have some low dose aspirin and directions on dosing it for bunnies that i found online. I gave it to him the last time he had stasis. I will try that. He is just so lethargic it is scary

It is the middle of the night here and i am unable to take him. He is now limp and wont take force feeding. He is producing pellets. I am at a loss but 99% sure he is dying. If he is still like this in the morning we will take him. The aspirin and gas drops didnt help. This isn't like stasis, its like he just got weaker and weaker. Started this morning. Maybe his heart failing or brain issue? He slowly got so weak till he couldn't stand. Not sub temp,I put him on a hot pack and it did nothing.

I got up to check, he died within 3 hours of my last post. I feel awful for his brother Banjo.
How could this happen? It started this morning, he was fine yesterday

I'm sorry, rabbits are so fragile creatures, and there's the possibility that he had some underlaying issue like a weak heart that made him less tolerant to heat. Sometimes there isn't anything we can do about it, no matter what we try.

im so sorry, you did your best. no one could help more.
he now is pain free. let he rest in peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss, you did everything you could.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do for Banjo? They were very bonded. He knows button died, he was with his body for a few hours and after he tried to wake him up he realized. He is eating and drinking but i am still worried. Should I give him a stuffed animal? Any other tips? Does he need a new companion? He is not a big fan of humans unless they have treats/lettuce.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do for Banjo? They were very bonded. He knows button died, he was with his body for a few hours and after he tried to wake him up he realized. He is eating and drinking but i am still worried. Should I give him a stuffed animal? Any other tips? Does he need a new companion? He is not a big fan of humans unless they have treats/lettuce.
better to wait
he may get closer to peoples.

I'm very sorry that you lost him. You could try a stuffed animal for his brother, a safe one with no little bits that can be chewed off. There's really no way to know how he'll cope. You'll just have to closely monitor him.

One thing I would suggest if he is normally kept outdoors and the temps are high where you live right now, is to keep him indoors where there's AC, especially now he's on his own. Rabbits are very susceptible to developing heat stroke, and heat stroke is very dangerous when it occurs, in any living thing. It is a medical emergency, and can cause permanent neurological and organ damage once it does happen.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

It is sad! For you and his cage mate. So sorry! I would take mine for a necropsy if I could afford it, just in case is an illness that your other bun could catch. It might be too late now since it is best to get the necropsy soon after death. You could ask the vet.
My bun has a rabbit stuff toy since he never had a companion to lean on. As long as the bun does not chew the "fur" off, it might help as a security item.

Now Banjo has stasis, and it's the middle of the night again. Right after he ate his evening pellets he started press his belly to floor and refusing food. He did produce some pellets earlier but his tummy clearly hurts. He is laying down and getting back up continously. I dont like how firm his tummy is. I have given gas drops 2x, as well as aspirin. He hates being syringe fed and bit me hard enough to draw blood. Im sure hes miserable. No change yet.

Latest posts

Back