Help! Is Our Bunny In Distressed Labor? or?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laadeebug

Reaction score
Hi there. This is my first time here. I don't know if it is just me but I couldn't find anything on the subject. Any help would be appreciated.

We have a Holland Lop, 1st pregnancy, about 7 - 7 1/2 months old. Due any day. Pregnancy has been fine so far. This morning she seemed fine in the cage with her boy, I fed them some romaine lettuce and they were happy. A little while later when my daughter let them out to play, Lola, our girlie, was "breathing differently "(possibly contraction like), she made noises when my daughter went to pick her so she stopped, A few minutes later when she went to let her out again, Lola walked out slowly with her front paws turning under, she was wobbly and grinding her teeth loudly. Since then she has been repositioning. She is trembling a little and off and on chattering her teeth. She is not being aggressive but seems to want to be petted for comfort. She is a spoiled house bunny normally and gets to go out into the playpen during the day. I don't know what other information I could give. This has been going on for about an hour.

Thank You so much!!

Lol! Shortly after posting this she ran past me, across the house and hid behind my bed and popped out 7 babies in about a minute. She is fine now. My only question now is my daughter had to move them to a nest box with hay because they were all born on the cold floor. Lola is not really taking an interest in them and is lying outside the box. I read they will not feed them right away. Are we ok?

Thanks again.

P.S. I think I will leave up this post just in case someone else needs it. Nothing I found on the web mentioned the symptoms she had during labor.

Hi there. This is my first time here. I don't know if it is just me but I couldn't find anything on the subject. Any help would be appreciated.

We have a Holland Lop, 1st pregnancy, about 7 - 7 1/2 months old. Due any day. Pregnancy has been fine so far. This morning she seemed fine in the cage with her boy, I fed them some romaine lettuce and they were happy. A little while later when my daughter let them out to play, Lola, our girlie, was "breathing differently "(possibly contraction like), she made noises when my daughter went to pick her so she stopped, A few minutes later when she went to let her out again, Lola walked out slowly with her front paws turning under, she was wobbly and grinding her teeth loudly. Since then she has been repositioning. She is trembling a little and off and on chattering her teeth. She is not being aggressive but seems to want to be petted for comfort. She is a spoiled house bunny normally and gets to go out into the playpen during the day. I don't know what other information I could give. This has been going on for about an hour.

Thank You so much!!

Glad your bun is doing better! It always makes me nervous when my bun does something out of the ordinary then acts fine afterwards lol. Hopefully your new kits do ok!

She could have had some pressure on her heart or internal organs causing the odd symptoms. Though I would continue to keep a close eye on her behavior as some rabbits can get pregnancy toxemia, often from low blood calcium and hypoglycemia. If she is showing any symptoms of this, she needs immediate treatment.

(contains graphic medical related photos)
Medirabbit: pregnancy toxemia

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Mother rabbits basically ignore their babies except to feed them. She should feed them in the next 24 hours usually. Check for full milk bellies, usually sometime in the early morning or late evening is when does typically nurse. If she hasn't fed them by 24 hours, 36 at the latest, I would consider assisting mom with the first feed, though done very carefully so no kits get scratched or thrown and injured if she struggles.

https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Latest posts

Back