Help in retrospect

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meandmedog

Reaction score
Richard, found our Arthur, lying listless on the floor of his summer house a few nights ago. He didnt have a mark on him, all the other bucks in with him are fine and we dont know what happened. He was fine earlier on in the day.

Long story short, emergency 10pm trip to the vets to have him put to sleep. It is still haunting me (although as always I dealt with it all at the time).

He was lying flat out, unable to raise his head, use his legs (other than to buck slightly), was gasping for breath and his eye (as in the eyeball) was twitching back and forth. it was very distressing and we have no doubt we did the kindest thing for him and as quickly as we could.

Does anyone have any idea what it may have been? I suspected, along with the vet that it was possibly a stroke or some sort of neurological problem. I know I will never fully know, but having read other forums where some peoples rabbits have made full recoveries I would like some peace of mind.

many thanks

a very sad Jane :cry4::cry4::cry4:

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny... I'm sure he's in hippity hoppity heaven now. (That's where my 7 year old says rabbits go when they die)

It sounds like severe issues that affected him neurologically. Without a necropsy you will never know for sure. You did the best thing for him
What ever it was please do not blame yourself as most bun owners have a tendency to do :(
I am really sorry :hug:

Aw, so sorry. :( I think his condition when you found him can be a fairly typical 'end stage' so what happened to get him to that state would be a mystery without a necropsy.

Was he free-run with the other bucks? He may have gotten a well-placed kick causing internal injuries. He could have tried a 'bunny 500' or jumped from somewhere and damaged his spinal cord, it could have been a heart issue, neurological, just about anything.

How old was he? What breed? The vet didn't see any indications of anything?

Sorry again. :rip:

sas :(

Latest posts

Back