Help!! I'm a bad mommy!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebunnyok

Reaction score
My husband and I were trimming Tupper's nails for the first time, and I guess I didn't hold his foot fast enough, cause when I trimmed one of his back nails, he jerked, and the nail came out!!

We stopped the bleeding, and he seems okay, but I am so worried! Should we take him to the vet??

I am so worried, and I feel like the worst bunny owner in the world :cry2

Please help!!

The whole nail! I feel so bad. I don't want him to be in pain!! The bleeding has stopped, and he seems to be okay. Even hopping over to "love" on his stuffed panda bear. (getting him fixed soon!) Does the nail grow back?

Yes it does. I had a few nail mishaps. Not sure how anyone of them happened but have had them. Just watch him since he seems to be acting fine I would just monitor it.

Thank you! I suppose this is a newbie mistake. He is doing okay now. He is staying in his cage, but seems to be fine. He is eating some cilantro.

Thank you everyone! I hate that I caused my bun bun pain :cry2

My bun ripped the whole nail off once on the carpet. She had an appointment with a vet a few days later and they looked at it. They said as long as the bleeding stops it is fine. They also said a new nail should grow in but to watch it as it may grow in and curl or grow in at a funny angle so it may need cut more then the other to keep it from causing problems.

Also when this happened to Chase it didn't seem to bother her, she kept running around the house like normal. I would also watch for the next few hours that it doesn't start bleeding again.

Yeah, it happens. It may or may not grow back--a few of my guys are missing nails from who knows when. They've bounced around a bit before they made it to my home ;). Isn't it terrible how much they bleed? Once I accidentally did that to a bunny at the adoption center (located in a pet store) and I had to change my shirt cuz it looked like a massacre--not what people want to see! In the future, styptic powder, flour, or cornstarch can help with bleeding.

I know the feeling of being a "bad bunny mum". Everyone makes mistakes, and we all have to forgive ourselves. It's hard, but you should forgive yourself. I've only trimmed nails too short, but I can guess how awful you feel. It's OK, though.

The nail should grow back. Our old foster-bunny had a screwy nail. When we first got her, her nail was pretty much missing. After awhile, it grew back. It never grew in sharp, though. It was just "nubby".

if i understand you correctly, missing toe nail,..oh,darn,i bet that hurt,.before you applied a compress to the foot how much bleeding was there,??..the reason i ask is,,. i have a cottontail 2.8#,whose territory was invaded mon.20th-byour 9-mon.old,8.5#-tabby-cat,..the fight did not last long,but the cat was at bay,as i entered the room,.unfortunately the rabbits got the worst of it,:cry1:..a cut on the left eye lid,and a right rear foot-a long-nail-broken almost off,.as he sat in one spot,there was a pool of blood about 3inches across,.the blood had coagulated,and stopped bleeding on its own,.-i looked at him in horror, he was proud of himself,:biggrin2:,but it didnot help me feel better,:nerves1..cottontails when provoked are gladiators,:pray:..james waller [email protected]

Can you use injectable bicillin on your cottontail James?

From what I have learned on here a cat bite is usally fatal to a rabbit unless aggressively treated with strong antibiotics/
Pipp had a cat bite her bunny and treated it with oral chlorpalm and bicillin injections

Latest posts

Back