Help! I found a big scab near both my bunnies mouths and the scab came off too early

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found gnats in my room and an old piece of food in my room behind my dresser. I think the gnats have been biting them. I'm going to use my shop vac and exterminate them

I found gnats were coming out at night from their hiding place in my closet. I think they were biting the bunnies. do I have to worry about the scabs being fly strike?

No, you probably don't need to worry about flystrike, but I don't think that gnats are the cause of the scab and other issues. Something else is still going on and I think you still definitely need to see a vet, especially because this a recurring problem the bunnies have had.

No, you probably don't need to worry about flystrike, but I don't think that gnats are the cause of the scab and other issues. Something else is still going on and I think you still definitely need to see a vet, especially because this a recurring problem the bunnies have had.
could it not be healing because they drink out of a bowl?

the snow is melting and I can probably get them an appointment before Saturday

While the scab getting wet may not be helping, it certainly isn't the root of the problem. Just hang in there and get them to a responsible, rabbit-savvy vet as soon as you safely can. If this has been a chronic problem it's unlikely that a few days will make things too much worse, however, continued home remedies and improvising won't be what solves the root cause. Take this from someone who seems to need to improvise a lot, it only works if you genuinely know what you're doing, and in this case, I think professional help is needed. :)

While the scab getting wet may not be helping, it certainly isn't the root of the problem. Just hang in there and get them to a responsible, rabbit-savvy vet as soon as you safely can. If this has been a chronic problem it's unlikely that a few days will make things too much worse, however, continued home remedies and improvising won't be what solves the root cause. Take this from someone who seems to need to improvise a lot, it only works if you genuinely know what you're doing, and in this case, I think professional help is needed. :)
we are getting them to the vet as soon as possible

ok sorry for responding late. the vet sent us home with revolution and some other medicine. I think it's called Trimeth-Sulfa? they couldn't tell if it was bacterial or mites so we give them the revolution and then again in 2 weeks.

ok sorry for responding late. the vet sent us home with revolution and some other medicine. I think it's called Trimeth-Sulfa? they couldn't tell if it was bacterial or mites so we give them the revolution and then again in 2 weeks.
Did the infection go away on his mouth? My bunny has the same problem but it might be alittle different due to your description. However, my vet can’t rule out what it is either. She recommended revolution as well, and we’re going to try it. Has it gotten better?

Did the infection go away on his mouth? My bunny has the same problem but it might be alittle different due to your description. However, my vet can’t rule out what it is either. She recommended revolution as well, and we’re going to try it. Has it gotten better?
it did for a little while but it comes and goes. I haven't noticed much discomfort from it. it has gotten much better since then

It’s just like my bunny. His comes and goes, did your doctor figure out what your bunny has or still nothing?

Latest posts

Back