Help! I found a big scab near both my bunnies mouths and the scab came off too early

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
my bunnies have developed scabs on the sides of their mouths and the skin around them is white and flaky. I was examining one when brownie jerked his head back and the scab came off. the skin looks raw an I don't know how to treat it. what are the scabs and how can I treat brownie? they also have flaky skin in their ears.

Attachments

• IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
they also have flaky skin in their ears.
I feel like an idiot for ignoring this for weeks
I feel like a terrible owner

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 9
Like Diane R mentioned, your rabbits could have treponematosis(rabbit syphilis). Or it could possibly be mites because of the flakiness you are seeing in the ears, though that won't usually present around the mouth like that. So it's possible they could have both syphilis and mites.

Treponematosis is treated with pen g procaine/benzathine(long acting pen g) injections(NEVER orally), once every 5-7 days, for at least 3 weeks, or pen g procaine(short acting pen g) once a day for 5-7 days. Mites are treated with ivermectin injections or orally, every 10-14 days for at least 3 treatments, or with one or more(2-4 weeks apart) topical applications of Revolution(selamectin) at a 18mg/kg dose.

So yes, get your bun seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away.

MediRabbit (rabbit syphilis)

MediRabbit (case of atypical rabbit syphilis)

MediRabbit (fur mites in rabbits)

MediRabbit (ear mites in rabbits)

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Like Diane R mentioned, your rabbits could have treponematosis(rabbit syphilis). Or it could possibly be mites because of the flakiness you are seeing in the ears, though that won't usually present around the mouth like that. So it's possible they could have both syphilis and mites.

Treponematosis is treated with pen g procaine/benzathine(long acting pen g) injections(NEVER orally), once every 5-7 days, for at least 3 weeks, or pen g procaine(short acting pen g) once a day for 5-7 days. Mites are treated with ivermectin injections or orally, every 10-14 days for at least 3 treatments, or with one or more(2-4 weeks apart) topical applications of Revolution(selamectin) at a 18mg/kg dose.

So yes, get your bun seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away.

MediRabbit (rabbit syphilis)

MediRabbit (case of atypical rabbit syphilis)

MediRabbit (fur mites in rabbits)

MediRabbit (ear mites in rabbits)

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
we took him in a few months ago for the same thing (without the flakiness) and they said it was irritation and prescribed eye drops. I noticed a ton of drool near the scabs. could it be a mix of skin irritation and mites? and both rabbits have it so will I need to separate them for a month?

we took him in a few months ago for the same thing (without the flakiness) and they said it was irritation and prescribed eye drops. I noticed a ton of drool near the scabs. could it be a mix of skin irritation and mites? and both rabbits have it so will I need to separate them for a month?
Don't separate them, that wouldn't do any good and it would stress them. Sounds like you need a better rabbit vet.

My mom wants me to use ivermectin paste between their shoulder blades and separate them. it was recommended by a family friend who raised rabbits all her life. my mom doesn't want to make an expensive vet visit for it to turn out to be treatable at home.

Last edited:
I think it's from mites and not from rabbit syphilis. the same thing happened the first time he had mites. after being treated with ivermectin paste, the scabs went away.
I think it might be from him scratching and drinking out of his water bowl which would cause it to not heal correctly. I;m going to get them an optional bottle to go with the bowl and use some ivermectin paste on their necks so they can't groom it out, then separate them for 4 days to make sure they don't cross contaminate. then I will spray down everything in my room with isopropyl alcohol and organic mite killer is that a good idea?

You need a rabbit vet! Your bunnies need professional care, not home remedies. And please don't assume that people who 'raised rabbits all their life' know anything.
ok but I don't know if My mom is going to let me. I'll see if she can drive to the vet and get them an exam on Saturday.

ok but I don't know if My mom is going to let me. I'll see if she can drive to the vet and get them an exam on Saturday.
I'm sorry but if your mom allowed you to have rabbits then she has taken on the commitment to get them veterinary care when needed and it is needed now. Make sure the vet is a rabbit vet. Don't go to the vet you've seen before.

we are going to take them to the center for bird and exotics they were the ones that treated bubbles for his GI stasis and they do normal vet checkups as well as being an animal hospital.

I'm sorry but if your mom allowed you to have rabbits then she has taken on the commitment to get them veterinary care when needed and it is needed now. Make sure the vet is a rabbit vet. Don't go to the vet you've seen before.
that vet is specifically an exotic pets vet. they are supposed to be the best in Seattle they helped brownie with his eyes and they did checkups for us for years. but since we moved we aren't going to go there again anyways

oh and since I had coronavirus and am done quarantining tomorrow, will my bunnies need to quarantine for longer than me?

oh and since I had coronavirus and am done quarantining tomorrow, will my bunnies need to quarantine for longer than me?
Why would your bunnies need to quarantine? They don't. Hope the vet can help.

we got snowed in and the roads are frozen. we lost wifi and xfinity took over 24 hours to fix it. we can't get to the vet until the ice and snow melts. any advise on what do do?

For the immediate moment, I would wait until you can travel to a vet. Home remedies could have counter-indications (mix badly) with what you will be prescribed by a vet to treat the issue. Since both rabbits have symptoms, we can estimate that it's some kind of infection that is contagious, but it could be an environmental trigger that they are both in contact with.

Since you are in the market for a new vet, my best advice when looking for a new rabbit/exotics vet is to call small to midsized rescues in the area and find out what vet they use (larger rescues are good too, but if they have their own vet on staff it's not much help to you). I've found that vets that work with rescue groups tend to see a lot of rabbits, as well as see the largest range of ailments. They also tend to be more willing to try to reduce costs for those who ask, which can be a large help if the cost is a factor.

This looks like a promising rescue to contact in your area Log in to Facebook, or check with the House Rabbit Society, which has a Seattle chapter.

I'm guessing that your rabbits will need a skin scraping and/or blood test for a positive diagnosis of what exactly the problem is, neither of which are very expensive procedures. The prescription should also be reasonable, especially if you have the clinic send it to a third party pharmacy.

For the immediate moment, I would wait until you can travel to a vet. Home remedies could have counter-indications (mix badly) with what you will be prescribed by a vet to treat the issue. Since both rabbits have symptoms, we can estimate that it's some kind of infection that is contagious, but it could be an environmental trigger that they are both in contact with.

Since you are in the market for a new vet, my best advice when looking for a new rabbit/exotics vet is to call small to midsized rescues in the area and find out what vet they use (larger rescues are good too, but if they have their own vet on staff it's not much help to you). I've found that vets that work with rescue groups tend to see a lot of rabbits, as well as see the largest range of ailments. They also tend to be more willing to try to reduce costs for those who ask, which can be a large help if the cost is a factor.

This looks like a promising rescue to contact in your area Log in to Facebook, or check with the House Rabbit Society, which has a Seattle chapter.

I'm guessing that your rabbits will need a skin scraping and/or blood test for a positive diagnosis of what exactly the problem is, neither of which are very expensive procedures. The prescription should also be reasonable, especially if you have the clinic send it to a third party pharmacy.
we are going to the vet that treated bubbles' GI stasis. it is an exotic animal hospital/vet here's the link to the website Homepage | Center for Bird and Exotic Animal Medicine and it's only a 40 minute drive! :) oh and I did a deep clean of their are and it seemed to help with bubbles' scabbing

Last edited:
That place looks fantastic! Maybe I'll take Willa and Fox there when I move back to the PNW! I hope you get an appointment quickly

Latest posts

Back