help how many hours should orphaned baby rabbit go between feeds at 2 week old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leopella

Reaction score
hello I've found myself in bit of a bind when it come to feeding
when they say twice a day is it ever 12 hours or every 6 hours because I'm not sure if every 6 hours would be classed as 4 feeds a day

Hi, can you give some more info, where is their mother does she still have milk, what you feed them, are they under/overweight, do you feed them poos etc. If you could post some pics that would help too

Normally rabbits feed twice a day, at dusk and dawn. But since you are handfeeding you can up that, 3 or 4 times a day, but smaller amounts should imho be ok. Overfeeding can be a problem with handfeeding, don't stuff them.
That twice a day is an adaption to avoid leading predators to the nest.

I guess the home rabbit society has some info about handfeeding on their page.

Edit:
It would be better to keep info and questions in one threat instead of starting from scratch.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/help-needed-baby-rabbits.99642/

Last edited:
How often you feed also depends on the formula you're using. If you aren't adding plain cream to it to boost the fat levels, then you would need to feed more often, though I would suggest adding plain cream instead. The mother rabbits milk is high in nutrients and fat, so they can get away with only feeding their kits once or twice a day. Our milk substitutes aren't so rich, so feeding more often may be necessary for the kits to get the nutrition and fat they need for proper growth. The important thing is not over feeding at each feeding, as that could result in problems for the kits.
This link is geared to cottontail babies, but it has some good info for milk feeding rabbit kits in general. Just disregard the wild cottontail specific info.
https://vetspace.2ndchance.info/eve...to-care-for-orphaned-wild-cottontail-bunnies/
And this is what to do and expect when raising baby kits.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

we read online that if there not warm enough it can affect there diet so we put a hot water bottle in with them with water out of the tap not kettle and made sure they had enough room to move away from it if they got to warm
and they are miles better and drinking far better so much more life in them so were happy about that
as for weight there a little under but its steadily going up there wade at ever feed so its being closely monitored went to get more formula today and the place we get it from has an indoor vet who recommended goats milk so slowly being moved onto that I wont be changing anything about the times of feeding until they way more if at all
I just want to know the fax before anything is done
the more i know now the more prepared I'll be and the more chance the baby's have
so any and all advice is appreciated
thank all of you for your time

hi back again with a couple of questions, now 3 week old and very adventures
q1) what age should little ones be introduced to grass at
q2) selective junior pellets ok for them at this age if not what would you recommend
as always thank you for your time and any advice given

Latest posts

Back