Help!!! How long does it take to gain trust after spaying?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBun

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have a little mini lop that is a year and half. We have been so close and she would spend every evening running and jumping onto the couch with me and cuddle. I got her spayed about three weeks ago and she no longer trust me. The look I was given when the vet took her made me cry and while she was being checked; she kept climbing up to my shoulder as she was so scared. I knew it would take a while and I am not pushing her at all. I offer her treats and she will come when I call her but then runs away.

I miss my little cuddle bun and wondered if anyone might be able to give me an idea of the time it might take for her to get past her trauma. She runs and binks and eats just fine but won't take a chance with me.

Just be patient and give lots of cuddles on her own terms.

She's acting different because her hormones are no longer making her desperate for your attention. She may not crave attention like she used to (or honk and hump things!), but I think you will soon notice she's the same happy bunny underneath. :) I bet she still loves cuddles even if she doesn't beg for them.

I know bunnies get scared at the vet, but I don't believe they blame us for going there. They just need love, patience, and good care from us. Spaying is a good thing. You have likely added years to her life.

Thank you so much for responding. I have been doing exactly what you suggest and she is starting to trust again. She has started to come up by me and ask for a hug and some loving and then she jumps back down. The progress is very encouraging and I am just letting her decide what she wants. I have never had a bunny before and she is so special. I have been so fortunate that she is one that likes to cuddle.

Thank you again for your response. :)

Latest posts

Back