help given birth 2 dead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would entice her away from them with a carrot or banana or something.

I haven't been breeding all that long - but I do have a question. Did she make a nest? I ask this because I had one doe that didn't get her nest made and was trying to keep the babies warm by sitting on them/near them. I actually picked her up and took them away long enough to make a nest with her and then returned her babies.

I hope a more experienced breeder chcecks in this morning - my concern is that she could crush them by sitting on them.

Also - is she a first time mother?

Peg

Whoops - dawned on me that maybe I should explain how I made a nest!

I took some hay and put it in her nestbox for her and then pulled some fur from along her belly area (it tends to get loose anyway). I put them on the hay w/ some fur on top of it and then then the babies (fur to make the hay softer) and then covered them with more fur.

Peg

Quotingmy post from you're other thread...
LOL... That "blob" would be the placenta (afterbirth). Typically the doe would consume that, but sometimes (though not often) they will leave one or two.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the other kits - this is prime example of how easily (and fast) kits can die from hypothermia, and that does are unable to relocate the babies after they're born, therefore if they are to survive, we have to put the kitstogether in the nestbox to keep warm.

It will be hard the first couple of days (until it gets fur in) for it to keep warm with no other sibling bodies radiating heat. Keep a close eye on it and Good Luck!
I get the feeling that there was not any research done about rabbit reproduction and what to expect prior to introducing and breeding the two rabbits. All of the questions and problems that you had are covered on this forum, with the majority of it on the Pinned thread at the top of this forum section: The Bunny - From Conception to Weaning and Breeding Basics

Be sure to read that thread (I've linked it for you for quick access), and read it thoroughly. If you still have questions afterwards... that's what we're here for.

we have already had anotherdoe that give birth she was fine we watched her have them back in sept 05 they were fine so we did know and had read the threadbut were just checking to see if they are different during birth

pamela wrote:
flopsy keeps uncovering 1 kit is it normal its warm in the room they are inside house
I doubt it's Flopsy uncovering the kit... kitsregulate their body temperature by digging into (covering up) and uncovering themselves in the nest. They will also move around from the back of the nestbox to the front (if it's too hot), or move from the front to the back (if it's too cold).

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
I doubt it's Flopsy uncovering the kit... kitsregulate their body temperature by digging into (covering up) and uncovering themselves in the nest. They will also move around from the back of the nestbox to the front (if it's too hot), or move from the front to the back (if it's too cold).
I would agree with you SunnieBunnie - but I have two does that will uncover their kits - and I have WATCHED them do it. My rabbitry is inside the house too. I've also seen the same does recover the kits at night. I couldn't believe it at first so I started watching. I went in and recovered the kits one day....and walked 3 feet away to watch the mom uncover them again. At the time - the rabbitry was about 67 or 70 degrees and there were 6 or 7 babies.

HOWEVER...since the doe only has one kit in there - I really think it needs to stay covered while waiting for the fur to come in....

Peg

Hi I'm not a breederbut we" accidentally" had a litter at the humane society right before XMas. She had 2 dead ones and6 healthy, took care of the placenta and seemed to be an an excellent mom... not a first timer. She tore out a huge amount of hair before birth and made a good nest. We didn't even know that she was pregnant so she did everything by herself. What a Princess she is. I think that it takes time for them to "get motherhood"

angieluv wrote:
What a Princess she is. I think that it takes time for them to "get motherhood"

I've heard lionhead breeders talk about a "first litter syndrome" (I think that is it) - its not a formal term...just the fact that some moms simply don't "get it" the first time. Frequently though - when given a chance at a second litter - they do great...and most breeders I know will give a doe 3 times to have a successful litter before deciding she isn't mothering material.

I love it when a first time mom "gets it" the first time around....

Peg

Years ago I had a hamster thatI got from a place thatkept them in a huge aquarium (it was awful). She had babies a few days later and ate them (not uncommon with hamsters). Later I bred herand she had another litter and was a wonderful mother. I know her life was awful at the pet store and am sure that the extreme stress of the situation made her feel that she couldn'y take care of her young safely. Maybe does are affected by stress in their pregnancy. I don't really know but it seems like it would make sense.

Latest posts

Back