HELP gi stasis recovery worried

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abaez

Reaction score
Hi,
pon Thursday I took my rabbit to the vet and he was diagnosed with an obstruction, he was 2 days at the vet. Saturday once he got home he ate as if nothing had happened, hated but took his oral meds. (Meloxicam , enrofloxacina and ranitidine. ) up until now he had been eating well on his own drying water and exercising. When I gave him his meds again he reverted to not eating and hunching and pressing his stomach on the floor, skratching his bed, he seems in pain and only some 4-5 poops . he last ate at 7:30 pm it’s now 12 am should I give him critical care or more meloxicam ?

I was giving him a belly massage and his stomach feels a bit bloated and hard.

The emergency vet won’t answer it’s 2am his stomach feels harder help what can I do ?

Well this has become some sort of monologue but it’s helping me keep calm. belly massages and water led to some poops and belly doesn’t feel hard anymore. I gave him some critical care (1ml its a small syringe) to see how that makes him feel. So far no scratching and he seems to be more comfortable. he also drank some water on his own. It’s 3 am if he responds well I’ll get him some more belly massages in an hour And maybe some more critical care or water ?
sorry if I’m being annoying I’m just worried.

You're not annoying. You're worried. That's normal. So the belly rubs are working to help move his digestion along? Because if so, that's good. Then when the vet opens, you can take him in again to get looked at once more to be safe.
Thank you, that’s what I’ll have to do I just hope he feels better soon, he was doing so well.

I feel for you, it’s very stressful. When one of my girls had stasis a couple of months ago she was doing great for a couple of days and then backslid and I had a few days of figuring out the best way to manage her as she was obviously still in come discomfort at times.

Belly rubs worked great for her too and stress management was also crucial. Can you encourage him to eat any hay and veggies rather than critical care, or is he turning them down?

Since I gave him the critical care he has been more still, when he walks is like hes stretching. Im not sure if it helped or Mae it worse...

I feel for you, it’s very stressful. When one of my girls had stasis a couple of months ago she was doing great for a couple of days and then backslid and I had a few days of figuring out the best way to manage her as she was obviously still in come discomfort at times.

Belly rubs worked great for her too and stress management was also crucial. Can you encourage him to eat any hay and veggies rather than critical care, or is he turning them down?
He last ate ate 7:30pm pellets hay and some fresh kale and mint. at 9 pm I gave him the medicine and it’s been downhill from there. I can’t get him to eat on his own anymore, I’m not sure if syringe feeding the critical care is worse....

he is in a córner I’m trying to keep him warm but he seems tired. Should I try to give him some more critical care ?

If he ate pellets, hay, kale, and mint don't give him any Critical Care. Just leave him alone so he can sleep. Rest is good for him, it will make him feel better. Don't stress him out, it only makes things worse! I know it is hard not to constantly worry about him and want to check to make sure he is okay, but sometimes rabbits really just need time to calm down.
Make sure he has access to lots of water and hay so if he does get hungry or thirsty he has plenty.

He last ate ate 7:30pm pellets hay and some fresh kale and mint. at 9 pm I gave him the medicine and it’s been downhill from there. I can’t get him to eat on his own anymore, I’m not sure if syringe feeding the critical care is worse....

he is in a córner I’m trying to keep him warm but he seems tired. Should I try to give him some more critical care ?

If he was eating ok before, the syringe feeding might be stressing him out a bit (unless he enjoys it, for my bun, it was counter-productive). Hopefully by now he’s settled down a bit and had a little something on his own?

My bun will never eat if she’s stressed, so during her recovery, keeping her calm and stress-free was more effective than delivering meds or critical care, because she hated the process and I’d spend an hour or 2 calming her down afterwards.

Keep up the belly massage and If you still struggle to get him interested in hay at any point, try getting a little and brushing his nose with it until he bites it - he’ll most likely do that out of annoyance initially, but will hopefully eat some in the process, which will encourage him to eat more. I did this with my bun several times a day during her recovery to make sure she always had some hay moving through.

I would also hold off on the pellets for now. Hay is the most important thing to get his gut running back up to speed, so he needs to be encouraged to eat as much as possible.

I totally understand how stressful it is!

If he ate pellets, hay, kale, and mint don't give him any Critical Care. Just leave him alone so he can sleep. Rest is good for him, it will make him feel better. Don't stress him out, it only makes things worse! I know it is hard not to constantly worry about him and want to check to make sure he is okay, but sometimes rabbits really just need time to calm down.
Make sure he has access to lots of water and hay so if he does get hungry or thirsty he has plenty.
Yes thank you ! Hes in the vet now, a better one. He had a swollen stomach and gas so it was good on those who recommended laying off. I did, now its just wait for the vet to do her work.

If he was eating ok before, the syringe feeding might be stressing him out a bit (unless he enjoys it, for my bun, it was counter-productive). Hopefully by now he’s settled down a bit and had a little something on his own?

My bun will never eat if she’s stressed, so during her recovery, keeping her calm and stress-free was more effective than delivering meds or critical care, because she hated the process and I’d spend an hour or 2 calming her down afterwards.

Keep up the belly massage and If you still struggle to get him interested in hay at any point, try getting a little and brushing his nose with it until he bites it - he’ll most likely do that out of annoyance initially, but will hopefully eat some in the process, which will encourage him to eat more. I did this with my bun several times a day during her recovery to make sure she always had some hay moving through.

I would also hold off on the pellets for now. Hay is the most important thing to get his gut running back up to speed, so he needs to be encouraged to eat as much as possible.

I totally understand how stressful it is!

noted ! Thank you its my first encounter with this soI was very nervous not to do anything wrong. When he gets back from the vet ill take up your advise.More hay less pellets. No stressing him out. 🙏

I was the same, it’s hard to know what to do for the best! The advice I received on this forum got me and my bun through it though (more than the advice from the vet in fact), so never be afraid to ask on here.

Keep us posted with how he does! Wishing him a speedy recovery!

I was the same, it’s hard to know what to do for the best! The advice I received on this forum got me and my bun through it though (more than the advice from the vet in fact), so never be afraid to ask on here.

Keep us posted with how he does! Wishing him a speedy recovery!

thank you for your words and support. They lift me up 🙏

How's baby?
I’m relieved to say, vet called and he’s doing very well! he’s staying until tomorrow to monitor him and keep him hydrated. but he’s belly is back to normal, still passing some food. Poops are forming ! I never thought I’d be so excited for poop haha. and Good thing I changed vets this one is affordable and just gave a good vibe. thank you for asking !! ❤️❤️ I’ll read up on some recovery tips to make sure he’s safe when he comes back home.

I’m relieved to say, vet called and he’s doing very well! he’s staying until tomorrow to monitor him and keep him hydrated. but he’s belly is back to normal, still passing some food. Poops are forming ! I never thought I’d be so excited for poop haha. and Good thing I changed vets this one is affordable and just gave a good vibe. thank you for asking !! ❤❤ I’ll read up on some recovery tips to make sure he’s safe when he comes back home.
Oh thank goodness your baby is doing better! And awesome you got a better vet.

Latest posts

Back