Help! Getting one bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

Reaction score
Hello, I've been researching and planning on getting two Holland lops, but after some major money and space consideration the idea of one sounds more appealing. I've seen online on multiple other websites that getting two is the best option, but I highly doubt that's possible with the money I have available for rabbit care, let alone space. The rabbit will probably be in a 15 square foot DIY raised cage (6 feet long, 2 1/2 feet wide) and about 42-52 square feet of enclosed exercise space. The entire space is half of my laundry room that's at the back of my house. However, I spend most of my time in the living room at the front of my house since most of the stuff I do is at the computer which is located on a desk in the living room. Basically what I'm trying to ask is, is getting one rabbit really okay if I won't be there with it every second of the day? Is it possible I could put the rabbit in a large basket/plastic tub with litter and hay next to me on the desk, or would the rabbit jump out of the basket/tub and off the desk and hurt itself? Please note that I will also provide the rabbit with at LEAST four hours daily of socializing with myself and a large variety of toys. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi! I have a solo bunny. I spend as much time as I can with her, but because bunnies are crepuscular, Penny sleeps most of the afternoon-evening aka when I’m out of the house. I’m a college student and out of the house a fair bit throughout the day. That being said, I make bun-time for Penny every morning before I leave the house, mid-day when I’m home (and if she’s awake), evening, and at least one big cuddle session every night. Plus, Penny is 100% free roam and because she’s solo, I do as much as I can to entertain and cherish her. Since she loves attention, I try to introduce new people to her fairly often—which she absolutely loves. She’s a happy bun! In the future, I would like to get her a friend, yet I can only house and support one bunny at the moment as I swim through seas of crippling student debt.

To answer your second question, you can’t put the bunny in a large basket/tub for a few reasons: 1) Not large enough 2) The bunny WILL jump out 3) Your bun will probably hate it (mine certainly would). Wouldn’t worry about the bunny hurting itself— bunnies are like cats in the fact that they find ways to give their owners heart attacks while attempting daring stunts, yet they always seem to come out ok :) Another option is to have a 3-ft exercise pen (they WILL jump over a 2ft) in the living room while you’re working. However, because bunnies should have as much free roam/run/play time as possible, I’d recommend just bunny proofing the area where your computer is and allow your bun to play while you’re working. This means having a litter box in that area, as well. Spend as much time with your bun, ~especially~ if you’re only getting one. You don’t have to spend every second of every day with bunny, but making bunny a priority is key.

The size of the space you describe keeping would be better for one bun, since, while it’s long, it’s also skinny! If the bun is in a room by itself all day, that’s also not ideal. My bunny and I share our space, so while she’s alone for chunks of the day, my scent and things are always present. If your bunny is at the back of the house most of the time, it may feel isolated. If you are truly able to socialize it, then solo could work.

At the end of the day, it seems like a judgement call!

Attachments

• D304F80D-D4E4-4682-96C4-F4D37D2C5211.jpeg
    D304F80D-D4E4-4682-96C4-F4D37D2C5211.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 8
I would keep the bunny semi-free roaming in the living room, but it's impossible to bunny proof it enough so I don't worry since there's a ton of cords around (TV, computer charger, internet cables, etc.) it'd be impossible to contain them all. The x-pen is a good idea but I'd have to bring the idea up with the two other people living with me since it'd have to be in the center of the room. (Our living space isn't the largest, basically bordered by the TV, sofas, and desk.) Would the x-pen still be a good idea since I can't give the entire living room to the bun? I would provide most of its toys, a litter box, and hiding area/box as well as other fun things. The people I live with tend to hang out in the living area often, so the TV would be on almost constantly. Thank you for the reply!

Last edited:
I prefer to house my rabbits in the main living area of the home. It is where we spend our time and so it gives bunnies time to be with us-- even if we're just watching TV. In fact, evening is when they are most active so having them there with us allows easier interaction without specific "ok, this is bunny time."

Bunny proofing may be easier than you think. Check this page, that shows some of the proofing we did in our main area - blocking all TV cords, etc. There is another link there too with many more tips.
upload_2019-8-13_18-52-36.png

I tried to find a photo of an ex-pen blocking off part of the main living area to give you an idea. Unfortunately I don't have a photo... only a video. :) So here is the video showing the pen blocking a portion of the room off. (It's just 20 seconds.)

I prefer to house my rabbits in the main living area of the home. It is where we spend our time and so it gives bunnies time to be with us-- even if we're just watching TV. In fact, evening is when they are most active so having them there with us allows easier interaction without specific "ok, this is bunny time."

Bunny proofing may be easier than you think. Check this page, that shows some of the proofing we did in our main area - blocking all TV cords, etc. There is another link there too with many more tips.
View attachment 42306

I tried to find a photo of an ex-pen blocking off part of the main living area to give you an idea. Unfortunately I don't have a photo... only a video. :) So here is the video showing the pen blocking a portion of the room off. (It's just 20 seconds.)

I've come up with a plan to enclose my desk area so it's less trouble for the people living with me and also gives the bun more social time with me. A litter box, toys, etc. will be provided and the space will be bunny proofed. It's not the largest, but the bunny won't be in there all day. It should suffice.

Your difficulty may be in having (if I understand you) two separate places for your rabbit -- his main area with cage and then this 2nd area by your desk in another location.

Ideally, a rabbit should always have free access back to his cage during exercise time. This means the cage door is open and then bunny is free to roam from there. Having a second area would require carrying the rabbit to that area (away from his place of security, his cage) where he cannot retreat.

The transporting from one place to another itself can be problematic as rabbits do not like being manhandled and forced to go somewhere on our schedule. If such a thing must be done, best to have a carrier for getting him from one room to another to avoid wiggling out of arms. But it isn't likely he'll appreciate being forced into a carrier or out of a carrier.

The second problem (aside from transport) is being deprived of his "safe zone." Their exercise or social area should not be where they are unable to retreat to their cage. This can be a real issue for some rabbits. They like the security of knowing they can return to their cage when frightened, nervous, or whenever the mood strikes.

Just some thoughts to consider while you are still in the planning stages.

Your difficulty may be in having (if I understand you) two separate places for your rabbit -- his main area with cage and then this 2nd area by your desk in another location.

Ideally, a rabbit should always have free access back to his cage during exercise time. This means the cage door is open and then bunny is free to roam from there. Having a second area would require carrying the rabbit to that area (away from his place of security, his cage) where he cannot retreat.

The transporting from one place to another itself can be problematic as rabbits do not like being manhandled and forced to go somewhere on our schedule. If such a thing must be done, best to have a carrier for getting him from one room to another to avoid wiggling out of arms. But it isn't likely he'll appreciate being forced into a carrier or out of a carrier.

The second problem (aside from transport) is being deprived of his "safe zone." Their exercise or social area should not be where they are unable to retreat to their cage. This can be a real issue for some rabbits. They like the security of knowing they can return to their cage when frightened, nervous, or whenever the mood strikes.

Just some thoughts to consider while you are still in the planning stages.
Yeah, that makes sense. Would bringing his hidey hole into the desk area help? I will use your advice and put him in a carrier if this idea sticks when I get him. Now that I think about it, rabbits are more active during the morning and evening. As stated in my other post, his area is at the back of the house so I won't get to spend time with him all the time. I was planning on 2 hours in the morning and at least 2 hours in the evening. The desk area idea is for socializing convenience during the day, but would he even still be active? Should I just spend more time with him during mornings and evenings?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back