Help!? G.i stasis? idk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariana

Reaction score
We had a hectic summer and my rabbit seems to be effected by it. He’s always been healthy and I’ve never had any problems with him but recently he’s been having tummy troubles. The past week his poos have me tiny, he’s not drinking nearly enough water if any at all. I have him so meds to get the tract going , that hasn’t helped , yesterday when I listened his tummy was gurgling a whole lot. I have gas drops and when I don’t know to use them properly. Hes (4.8 pounds of that helps) He’s pushing his belly to the floor, loafing in his litter box, doing weird things like he’s hurting. I have metacam for pain. His temperature was 103.1 last night . He’s breathing heavy/fast. I gave him veggies last night, no pellets . He’s eating his hay and he’s out an about this morning still. I don’t what to do!! Would critical care help? Gas drops?

He needs a vet visit ASAP! Give him a full dropper full of gas drops, just place it behind his teeth and squeeze it if he refuses it put it around his mouth and on his paws and he will lick it off.

Ok! Calling the vet and I’ll give him gas drops

Sooooooo I have a vet appointment for tomorrow, he stopped pooping, hasn’t eaten hay or drank water. I’ve pushed gas stops and his other medication.
We had a hectic summer and my rabbit seems to be effected by it. He’s always been healthy and I’ve never had any problems with him but recently he’s been having tummy troubles. The past week his poos have me tiny, he’s not drinking nearly enough water if any at all. I have him so meds to get the tract going , that hasn’t helped , yesterday when I listened his tummy was gurgling a whole lot. I have gas drops and when I don’t know to use them properly. Hes (4.8 pounds of that helps) He’s pushing his belly to the floor, loafing in his litter box, doing weird things like he’s hurting. I have metacam for pain. His temperature was 103.1 last night . He’s breathing heavy/fast. I gave him veggies last night, no pellets . He’s eating his hay and he’s out an about this morning still. I don’t what to do!! Would critical care help? Gas drops?

Hope he's ok! If he's stopped eating completely, I would give critical care (alternate it with syringing water or unflavored pedialyte to make sure he's getting enough fluids). Make sure you tell the vet everything you've given at home and whether or not it seemed to help any.

I was gone for 5 hours at dance and I was so worried because he wasn’t in good shape when I left. I can’t come to him waiting by the food dish and he pooped! It was still small but not as small! I gave him organic dandelion greens and he ate them (probably too fast) I have an appointment at the vet after school, I got a urine and poop sample . I ordered critical care too which will be here tomorrow and I’m going to pick up pedialyte .As I type this he is jerking on his gate door because he wants out of is room haha . I think he’s feeling a little better. I might sleep in his room with him tonight because I’m a paranoid bun mom.

Yay for poop! We're all paranoid bunny parents here, so you're not alone. I know I've had some near-sleepless nights tending to a bunny with stasis on numerous occasions. Nala had me worried for a good 2-3 weeks when she got molar spurs... had to wait a few days for the dental appointment and then after her teeth got filed down, it still took a while for her appetite to be totally normal again (I think some of that had to do with an overlapping flea infestation that might've started with her vet stay for the dental work). It's never fun to be a ball of worry! It's a good sign that he's eating and pooping some and is active/wanting attention, though.

Awe poor bun , glad he’s better now! All night he stayed in his hay box so that’s a good sign! Thank you for your help! I will post how the vet visit goes!

If he's back to eating and pooping pretty normally now, a vet visit may not be needed as they basically start out giving meds to get your bunny eating again(which he's already doing).

But if this seems to be reoccurring I would look at a dietary cause. Usually it will either be a sensitivity to one of the veggies(particularly cruciferous ones) or possibly even the pellets could be the issue. I had one rabbit that couldn't have pellets as they would make him feel sick.

Yes I am wondering too, I normally only give him cilantro and red/green lettuces because he’s never had an issue with those. It all started over the summer, he had a very stressful summer, he was moved around, didn’t stay at the house for over a month, I had to get rid of everything had because of a issue. We think he is eating way too fast, is getting too many pellets and not drinking enough water. I restricted his pellets and now he just goes nuts for them. I never give sweet treats because I am just too worried about a stomach upset. He hasn’t had veggies in a while because of our schedule being messed up, plus I think a change in water taste. I am hoping that is just it because there isn’t anything in his room that will harm him. I got a refill on his medication just Incase this happens again. He’s only had this issue twice, Personally I think it’s my fault, he didn’t seem o be drinking much water and I gave him 3 new veggies without thinking of adding them one by one and I think that just set his tummy off. I feel very bad but he seems better. I am going to do a deep inspection of his room , groom him more often (he literally doesn’t shed ever so I only brush him once a week) . I stopped giving him pellets and it seemed to help. So I am going to switch that too.

Latest posts

Back