Help! Fleas!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxElvisShotJFKxx

Reaction score
I'm having a heart attack! Just found a flea on Presley. I know it came from the population of stray cats that like to hang out on the hood of my Mustang. Help help! Can't get to the vet since it's the weekend. Is there something I can go buy at Wal-Mart or PetSmart?

Thanks!

K.

i've heard you can use a kitten flea powder.

i have always used avantage for cats on the rabbits with no problem. but last time i sprayed the room for fleas and just flea combed the bunnies. and i havent seen any more fleas. the rabbits just have to be out of the room for 2 hours when you flea spray it.

One of my rahabber friends in Florida got in some baby skunks whose mama had been hit and killed. The kits stunk to high heaven, and she HAD to give them a bath. She, like a lot of us, uses white vinegar for ever so many things, so she diluted some ... but I don't know how much she diluted it ... and rinsed the kits with it. She said that the fleas fell off like crazy, and they were dead when they fell off. No harm to the kits. They are now doing quite well.

I wouldn't use flea treatment for cats/dogs. Flea treatment is nasty stuff and the wrong dose can be fatal. I'm not sure what brands are safe in the US so as a temporary measure I'd suggest a cat flea comb and a bowl of soapy water. Catch the fleas with the comb and when you catch them rince them off in the soapy water. Not very high tech but it does work :)

Might be worth checking out the house flea sprays - make sure you check their safe for use near animals. Fleas can lay eggs in carpet.

Tam

Carbaryl (kitten flea powder/Sevin garden dust) is frequentlyused in the US. You'll also find Carbaryl listed on many house rabbit sites:

http://www.allearssac.org/fleas.html

This quote isfrom theHRS site:

"Carbaryl is the ingredient preferred by the House Rabbit Society's veterinary advisors."

Source:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/groom.html

Other topical dog/cat topical flea prescription meds are also commonly used on rabbits in the US.

No medication is completely safe, so I do advise proper diagnosis andmedication dosages directedby the vet so properaction can be taken in the event of a reaction from the medication.

I've used Carbaryl for many years without any rabbits having a reaction. One advantage is that if an animal does have a reaction to Carbaryl, symptoms generally diminish if the powder is washed off the animal.

Pam

Latest posts

Back