Help (emotionally) with my rabbits coming neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutdabunny

Reaction score
can you guys please give me some hope for my upcoming neuter, I already lost a baby to a surgery, keep me in your prayers or write something in the comments, I try to stay positive but I am freaking out, it’s getting really bad, I just need some support, I think that you guys get it, right?

You will be in my prayers. Usually neuters are more successful than spays, so as long as you’re very knew what they’re doing, you’re like gut should do fine❤️ Hope everything goes ok. Keep us updated

Everything will be just fine ❤ I was scared half to death when I got Willa spayed and worried all day. I worked in a veterinary hospital at the time and knew every step of the procedure and I was still terrified. With a good exotics vet the chance of something going fatally wrong on a neuter is extremely low. The best of luck to Peanut!

I was worried sick about Theo when he got neutered, but he did amazing and there was nothing to worry about. Praying Peanut will do amazing too! Neuters only take about 10 minutes at the most so he won't be under for long.

It took me a year before I had the courage to get my last rabbit neutered. I went with the best rabbit vet in the area(and most expensive), made sure to pay the extra for pre op blood work, and an IV during surgery. And it all went off without a hitch. I will say, having a really experienced and good rabbit vet doing it makes a HUGE difference.

It took me a year before I had the courage to get my last rabbit neutered. I went with the best rabbit vet in the area(and most expensive), made sure to pay the extra for pre op blood work, and an IV during surgery. And it all went off without a hitch. I will say, having a really experienced and good rabbit vet doing it makes a HUGE difference.
we do have a vet like that in our area and I wish I could pay almost 1k for the surgery, but I'm still a kid who doesn't have a job, I just cant afford it sadly, we went to a local "shelter program" for 100

We have had almost 50 done without a hitch. We used one vet for the females even though it was a bit of a drive as she had a lot of experience with female rabbits and cost a 3rd of the Vets in our town. I used my regular Vet for the males as she was inexpensive and very good not to mention close to home and she did a lot of male rabbits each week. You are both in our prayers.

When I had Sir Lawrence neutered, I was worried sick. He was dumped on me, and I had no idea about taking care of a rabbit, but I felt responsible for him, and wanted him to be safe and healthy and happy. I didn't get a good feeling about the vet I had found locally, so I went to HRS, and found a vet 3 hours away, and got it scheduled. They were the best, but were super-expensive (around $500), but I gladly paid to make sure I was giving him the best chance. When they called and said he was done (and fine) I rushed over as quick as I could. I was prepared for the slow recovery process; force-feeding and medicating for days, but boy was I wrong. I was greeted by a happy, alert little bunny boy with a mouthful of hay.
vet.jpg

Fast forward to now, and I've found a local rabbit-savvy vet. He was the one who neutered my second boy, Lucas, while he was still at the rescue. For $25.

I say all that to say this:
More expensive doesn't always mean safer. If you're comfortable with the vet, there's noting you can do. Some rabbits don't react well to anesthesia, true, but this is also true for humans (and other animals).

I'm right there with you! Best of luck! ❤

When I had Sir Lawrence neutered, I was worried sick. He was dumped on me, and I had no idea about taking care of a rabbit, but I felt responsible for him, and wanted him to be safe and healthy and happy. I didn't get a good feeling about the vet I had found locally, so I went to HRS, and found a vet 3 hours away, and got it scheduled. They were the best, but were super-expensive (around $500), but I gladly paid to make sure I was giving him the best chance. When they called and said he was done (and fine) I rushed over as quick as I could. I was prepared for the slow recovery process; force-feeding and medicating for days, but boy was I wrong. I was greeted by a happy, alert little bunny boy with a mouthful of hay.
View attachment 53912

Fast forward to now, and I've found a local rabbit-savvy vet. He was the one who neutered my second boy, Lucas, while he was still at the rescue. For $25.

I say all that to say this:
More expensive doesn't always mean safer. If you're comfortable with the vet, there's noting you can do. Some rabbits don't react well to anesthesia, true, but this is also true for humans (and other animals).

I'm right there with you! Best of luck! ❤
Also should I get critical care? The vet didn't say anything about it

I would say yes. It's always good to have around in case of emergencies, regardless of whether or not your bun will need it after surgery, and as a powder, it keeps for a long time. My vet provided it after the surgery, so maybe ask if you could get some from the vet? From what I now understand, most boys don't even notice the neuter, so I wouldn't get extra worried.

In a pinch, you can always soak some pellets in water to make a mush in lieu of Critical Care, so if it's not in your budget, don't sweat it!

Latest posts

Back